How do you "stop" a deer for a shot?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Do you grunt, bleat, whistle, yell, rattle ???

I just meeh at them at close range. havent tried to stop one at a long range. except loud vocal voice grunts.

What works for you?

I don't stop them for the shot. I stop them with the shot. If they are already running, they aren't going to stop because a noise you make. If they are walking, aim a bit more towards the shoulder.

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
If they are close I do a little mouth bleat/goat noise type thing, far away I do a loud deep dog bark or two.

spittinfire

Six Pointer
If they're running I don't bother trying to stop them. If they're walking I've whistled or stomped my foot and gotten them to pick there head up and stop.

SickLeaveSportsman

Four Pointer
Tried 3 times to stop a target buck last season at 80 yds trotting across a field. Finally yelled "HEY" right before he went into the thick. That worked.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I generally just use the loud button...a whistle will get it done most of the time if I'm holding a bow.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Do you grunt, bleat, whistle, yell, rattle ???

I just meeh at them at close range. havent tried to stop one at a long range. except loud vocal voice grunts.

What works for you?

I’ve whistled, a loud “hey” & the “meeh” with my mouth. All worked & that was with them already in my sights/crosshairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I usually mouth bleat if they are moving and close. I yelled “STOPPP” at one a while back and it stopped dead in its tracks.. idk who was more shocked me or the Deer but it worked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I just yell "Hey!!!" You better be ready to shoot as soon as you do it, though. They only give you a second.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
I've whistled (worked), BUHHHHHHH (worked), Yelled (worked) then on the flip side I've done them all and it didn't work....

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
I haven't done it much but when I have it was a normal speaking tone "meeh!" Getting progressively louder until it does the job. I think I have had to resort to a hollered HEY on a few occasions.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I've found the sound of a high shoulder shot stops em pretty good

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I generally do the ol' vocal "meh" too, as soft or as loud as necessary based on the situation....distance, wind noise, etc.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It all depends on that individual deer's state of mind as to what it's response will be.

Generally speaking, if it's running full-bore being chased by hounds or other-wised alarmed, nothing you can do or say is going to stop it, (other than shooting it!)

I have found that if the deer is unspooked and unaware of your being there, calling out can get them to stop (briefly). I usually say "Whoa," using the same tone and inflection I do with my dog. It worked for me 3 years ago when a buck came trotting by at 15 yards. I have no doubt he didn't know I was there, and when he came abreast of me and I called out, he stopped dead in his tracks. But you have to be quick, as they're not going to stand there long!

Then again, the next year a buck came by my blind at a trot, but you could tell he was on alert and nervous. He didn't give me a good shot and was slipping out of sight so I tried one grunt on the grunt tube, and he jumped and skedaddled like a scalded cat!

Its all comes down to that particular buck's state of mind at the time you cross paths with him.......

BVB

Four Pointer
I remember when I was a kid, my great uncle carried an old red whistle. I would be with my dad, a couple hollows over. He would always say, " If you hear Conway's whistle, you can bet a rifle will go off next". He was right!

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have witnessed 2 mature bucks that went from a casual walk to an out right turbo burst of speed when hearing an off sound. I'll take my chances with a moving deer, it worked before and still does.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
With my rifle I'm comfortable taking walking shots and occasionally I will take a running follow up shot (with good success) to stop them before they get to an area that will be hard to track in or drag out of. With my bow I use the "Meh" as long as they don't seem on alert. If they're ready to run already then I hope that they'll stop on their own and if they don't I pass the shot.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’ve done it all. I had to holler 3 times at the 10pt I killed a couple years back.

Swamp_Donkey

Eight Pointer
Anything that I can to stop em. If you have a decent buck rolling through the woods about the only thing that's gonna stop him is lead.