Danger of heart attacks in the woods

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Funny, Im 'only' 40 and like to think I am in good shape, but I actually do think about this and what I would do...... any severe medical issue for that matter. I almost stepped on a hornets nest the other week and it got me thinking about it. should probably invest in one of those instant alert GPS systems....maybe my garmin has that feature and I just need to know how to use it.

Last edited:

Randy

Ten Pointer
One of my brother's friends died of an apparent heart attack about 10 years ago while on an elk hunting trip in Colorado. His son and other members of their hunting party found him deceased several hours after he was due back in camp. He was sitting against a tree still clutching his chest. he was in his early 60s.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Considering the size of some of the guys here, I'm surprised we don't read more heart attack threads. While I'm also not in peak condition, I do visit my doctor for an annual exam, blood tests and ECG.

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The older I get, the more I think about the risks of being out in the woods alone. I always have and continue to spend a lot of time in the woods by myself and a lot of that time, nobody knows where I am. When I am hunting, I do let one of my boys know the general area I am in and when I get back. But running my trap lines, I may be trapping multiple farms that they have never been to and would not be familiar with. I do have cell service at most places and always carry my phone so it is a risk I am willing to take.

None of us are going to get out of this world alive and if my time comes while I am hunting or trapping, my family will know that I went doing something I enjoyed.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Although I run 40 +/- miles a week and have my heart rate at 165 bpm for 1-2+ hours 5 times a week, I still think about it while dragging a heavy critter out of the woods. That does take alot out of a healthy guy too. I'll be 50 in a few weeks, and I also know that I'm not a 20-30 year old anymore.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hunt alone the majority of the time but I generally let at least one person know where I am sitting for that hunt. As far as dragging one out...that's for youngun's and 4 wheelers or tractors. There's not too many places that I can't get where I hunt without a little chainsaw work at the very most.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've spent most of my adult life in the woods, alone, with no cell phone, and not a soul having a clue as to where I am. That was just the nature of my job. I now try to let somebody know roughly where I'll be, but if something were to happen, they would still have a hard time finding me. However, I do a fair amount of walking/hiking and exercises to stay in some kind of decent shape. I try to look at it this way. If my number comes up while I'm in the woods, at least there will be a smile on my face when they find me!

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I've spent most of my adult life in the woods, alone, with no cell phone, and not a soul having a clue as to where I am. That was just the nature of my job. I now try to let somebody know roughly where I'll be, but if something were to happen, they would still have a hard time finding me. However, I do a fair amount of walking/hiking and exercises to stay in some kind of decent shape. I try to look at it this way. If my number comes up while I'm in the woods, at least there will be a smile on my face when they find me!

I used to be in great shape. Now, not so. 46 and I have to get serious. Like soilman, I used to have a job that kept me out and about - actually I, too, was a soilman for 10 years or so. Now it's a desk and driving job.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Being overweight is a risk factor but plenty of “healthy appearing” folks have heart attacks. Family history, smoking, diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure are the major risk factors. If you don’t want to have a heart attack, control your risk factors. All of these other than genetic predisposition can be controlled by you.

waxhaw

Six Pointer
Am already a member of the Cardiac Kid Club. Had mine at 49. Get real exercise, walk, hike or bike 10 miles a week. quit sittin on the couch. the lifestyle of work and processed foods is causing more to have them at earlier ages.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
All heart attacks don't result in cardiac arrest. Heart attacks are survivable but the odds of you surviving a cardiac arrest in the woods is pretty slim. Take heart attack symptoms serious and deal with them before it becomes an arrest. Like others have said if my time is up and I'm in the woods id be alright with that.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have seen a lot of folks who should have died walk away and many more who should have been 'ok' put in the ground.. very few people are lucky enough to die doing something they love to do. Would rather go in the woods enjoying myself than sitting in the office.

I agree with Moose, pay attention and understand the symptoms, take them seriously.. and hope its not your turn.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had some strange jaw pains last year into first part of this year so I went to a Cardiologist and had a nuclear stress test.....I was a 30 year smoker and quit about a year ago.....need to lose 30 lbs......Dad had heart attack at 53.....so you can guess what I was expecting on my results....well it all came back perfectly clear with no blockages!

Point is.....DO NOT IGNORE ANY SYMPTOMS!! GET CHECKED!

From a safety standpoint.....I would suggest printing out GIS maps of each property you hunt on alone. Mark all your stands and where you enter to get to them. Write the name of the owner on them and a phone number and put them in a binder....give this to your spouse, best friend, son, daughter.....whoever. It only takes a minute to open it and show a person where you will be for that hunt.....

I hear the ones saying that a heart attack in the woods might not be a terrible way to go......but do you want your kids finding you 3 days later all swollen up and probably chewed on by some critters? I don't want my family stressing when I die....no matter how I go.

Think about it.

Last edited: