Loading muzzleloader

brucesmith0817

Six Pointer
I shoot a CVA OPTIMA 50 cal. I have noticed after the 1 shot an I reload I can never get the 2 nd bullet to seat the same depth as the Frist .
This doesn't seem to affect accuracy ,but just wondered if anyone else has noticed this. I clean my gun after two shots realy gets tight on 3rd reload.I am shooting t.v. black wads an 240 gr. 44 cal hallow. point pistol bullets

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Be careful! You DO NOT want a gap between the bullet and powder! It could build dangerously high pressure dynamics.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I clean between every shot, even when hunting...Carry a small bottle of rubbing alcohol, dampen 2 patches, then dry, then lightly oil and you are done...I keep these in a zip lock bag in my vest pocket...It only takes a couple of minutes for a quick clean and reload...

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I clean between every shot, even when hunting...Carry a small bottle of rubbing alcohol, dampen 2 patches, then dry, then lightly oil and you are done...I keep these in a zip lock bag in my vest pocket...It only takes a couple of minutes for a quick clean and reload...

^^This. I carry pre-soaked cleaning patches in a snuff box. 1 damp patch on both sides and 1 dry one. Reload and do it again.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Same here...I carry alcohol wipes with me and clean it good before reloading. I'm making the switch to BH 209 this year but plan to clean between shots with that powder as well.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
ml1.jpg This illustration comes from the NMLRA handbook for the the muzzle loading class they offer.

Slong

Four Pointer
Do they make blackhorn in pellets or powder only? Do you have to change the breach plug to use blackhorn? Seems I rad something about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i dont know if they make it in pellets. Go with powder. Powder is much more consistant than pellets. Try it out. Ive never seen a gun that was better with pellets.

Slong

Four Pointer
Did you have to use a different breach plug or the original?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jrbrandt25

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Your CVA is probably .019 stock. Drilling is to NO MORE than .035 will give you the performance you're looking for.

The breech plug that my friend just had done on his Accura was .019 He had a machinest do it for $10. Although the hole is probably only 3/16ths to 1/8th deep before it enters the flame channel, you need to be cautious if you do it youself. The machinest said that it was good steel but not great steal.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
pre-measured powder fits nicely in film rolls. For the youngins that don't know what that is. Ask your parents or grandparents. ;)

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Are they Not hand tighten like the original

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mine came with the bent piece of steel that looks like a flat allen wrench to tighten the replacement to very snug...the first time it's installed. Then you will only tighten it hand tight as before. The initial installation requires you to "seat" the breech plug for the first time.
I shot my Optima with the replacement plug and BH 209 for the first time yesterday afternoon...and wow...that's really cool to be able to shoot repeatedly after the barrel cools without swabbing/cleaning between rounds. The accuracy at 100 yards was amazing as well, and the snap of the recoil was almost the same as nitro powder, not the push of black powder or the typical sugar based replacements.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Mine came with the bent piece of steel that looks like a flat allen wrench to tighten the replacement to very snug...the first time it's installed. Then you will only tighten it hand tight as before. The initial installation requires you to "seat" the breech plug for the first time.
I shot my Optima with the replacement plug and BH 209 for the first time yesterday afternoon...and wow...that's really cool to be able to shoot repeatedly after the barrel cools without swabbing/cleaning between rounds. The accuracy at 100 yards was amazing as well, and the snap of the recoil was almost the same as nitro powder, not the push of black powder or the typical sugar based replacements.

What Eric said about the initial seating of the breech plug.

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer
Okay, so can you remove it with just your fingers between shots if u wanted( i like to be able to check the flash channel after shooting and the next hunt)

Bigbass78

Four Pointer
Yes you will be able to take it out with your finger but the first time you put it in you have to use the wrench that comes with it to seat in in your gun then you can loosen it and use it like your old one

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Okay, so can you remove it with just your fingers between shots if u wanted( i like to be able to check the flash channel after shooting and the next hunt)

Yes, after the initial install the breechplug is easily removed with two fingers.