Will be in SE NC for an afternoon... snow's cut bankfishing or somewhere else?

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Hi all.

I normally fish in Hyde Co., on the Pamlico but will be in SC until Wednesday noon. Was thinking of packing a rod and fishing from shore anywhere between there and home. I was considering a) Snow's Cut at the Park/bridge for flounder or b) Radio Island (more out of my way home) or c) anywhere on the beach that i can get to by walking (no 4x4 on my truck).

a) Snow's Cut: I think I understand that it's nothing but stumps, logs, lost hopes and dreams, but also big flounder, although I bet the biggest aren't just sitting on the bank. Is it worth a try? Pogies on a Caro Rig or bucktails/gulp? I imagine I'm in for snags no matter what.

b) Radio Island: Not sure if it's worth it at this time of year.
b2) Could go to Fort Macon if the flounder potential is high enough iyho.

c) Any beach: I might just go down to Ocracoke/Hatteras or EI this Saturday and do that, though.

Basically, I just have an opportunity to fish for an afternoon/evening, and want to try it! Will take advice.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
If I had an afternoon around Wilmington I would prob look at Wrightsville beach. Parking is free this time of year and pretty easy to find. Start down by the coast guard station for an hour. If nothing is going on just keep moving up the beach looking for sloughs. I would give myself enough time to fish Masons inlet for an hour at dusk.
You can cover more area and variety of spots all with easy access than just picking snows cut.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
If I had an afternoon around Wilmington I would prob look at Wrightsville beach. Parking is free this time of year and pretty easy to find. Start down by the coast guard station for an hour. If nothing is going on just keep moving up the beach looking for sloughs. I would give myself enough time to fish Masons inlet for an hour at dusk.
You can cover more area and variety of spots all with easy access than just picking snows cut.

Wildlifer is correct that free parking at WB takes effect Wed. How's that for timing. And I and many friends and family have tried under the bridge at Snows Cut and it is true about the snags. You could go to Carolina Beach State Park camp grounds which is just across the bridge.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Thanks all. Ended up having our meeting go all day in MB, so I had to just drive home in the evening. My fishing tackle enjoyed the ride, though. Will take this advice into consideration down the road.

(I DID go the Ft. Macon jetty _Saturday afternoon and finished up at Radio in the evening. I seriously thought I'd hooked a big flounder and yanked it from his mouth. No minnow left when I was done, so who knows. Coulda been a snag. No one was catching a thing at the north end of the beach.)