Too late for oats?

mattharris0414

Im going to try and broadcast some oats and rye in a freshly timbered area friday since we have rain coming. Do you think they will germinate?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They will germinate but may grow really slow if they get hit by a frost or two before they set their real leaves. Deer love them when they first sprout so I'd recommend sowing them really thick and just expecting the slow growth unless we have an abnormally warm and wet winter.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Plan on the deer hitting them hard in a month from germination.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I know my clover and rye is up, if my wheat didn't pop last week I'm gonna overseed with oats tomorrow.

mattharris0414

Update- so i got out today around lunch and spread about 300lbs of lime, 150lbs of oats and about 25 lbs of a country boy mix from kernersville feed and seed. Come on rain!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Update- so i got out today around lunch and spread about 300lbs of lime, 150lbs of oats and about 25 lbs of a country boy mix from kernersville feed and seed. Come on rain!

Today's rain should have you in business by the end of the week ....good luck this season.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
The guys around here will overseed the fields with oats or wheat till after thanksgiving so you should be good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk