What choke?

Bucks&Bass

Button Buck
Bought a new 1187 for buckshot , what choke works best for yall? I like my first shot to be 000 and then go to 00 (if needed , lol). I know every gun shoots every shell different and just thought it would be interesting to see what the general consensus would be.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bought a new 1187 for buckshot , what choke works best for yall? I like my first shot to be 000 and then go to 00 (if needed , lol). I know every gun shoots every shell different and just thought it would be interesting to see what the general consensus would be.

I've patterned with IMP, MOD, FULL, and XFULL .... mine prefer's modifed.

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
I’ve had good results with Improved Modified, but try some different chokes see what gun likes. Gunsmith told me when go too tight with large buckshot they can get flatspotted and “fly” messing up pattern. Made sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
The most consistent generic answer is cylinder with Fed FCW. I've seen that hold true across multiple guns.

The right answer is shoot it, and find out.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Find you some Federal FLITECONTROL stuff and it won't matter as much which choke you use as it doesn't depend much on barrel constriction to produce tight groups.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
My 11-87 done best with improved cylinder and 00 Federal Flitecontrol wad. Seen tight chokes full and x-full shoot Rem. 000 well. I know that is crazy but I have seen that in multiple guns.

Last edited:

Carolinaguy

Six Pointer
Anybody mix slug/shot in their gun? I typically shoot slugs with imp cylinder and thought about following it with 00. Is there a huge difference in pattern using imp cylinder with buck shot?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Anybody mix slug/shot in their gun? I typically shoot slugs with imp cylinder and thought about following it with 00. Is there a huge difference in pattern using imp cylinder with buck shot?

There would be no problems using slug and buckshot, with the imp. cyl. choke I would really try the Federal FCW 00.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll vouch for the Federal Flight Control buckshot. In a cyl / improved cyl bore, within 20 yards it can be too tight. Don't shoot it through a tighter choke then that though, it really works best with Cylinder.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I have all ways wanted Winchester to come out with a buckshot similar to their Longbeard turkey loads. I guess that would be to simple...

Bucks&Bass

Button Buck
Thanks for the replies , I haven't been on here in a while and thought this would be a good chance to see every one else's thoughts were in line with mine , and they are. I ordered a carlson's buckshot choke tube to try and I will let yall know the results. Thanks again and leave one or 2 for seed.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
The issue with huge shot is making sure your bore/choke diameter will allow 2 pellets to pass through side by side without deforming. 000 Buck shot is .36" in diameter and a traditional IC choke is .72" so this would be the most constriction one would typically want with this size shot...Skeet or cylinder being better choices. May people use wad stopping chokes versus normal constricting chokes and get excellent results. My old 1st generation original Pattern Master threw uber tight patterns with 00 and #1 buck (I personally don't like 000 due to the reduced pellet count). As stated above the best advice is to shoot a few rounds through each choke and see what your results are as each gun and each choke tube will pattern identical loads very differently.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I have allways had better luck with choked barrels than screw in chokes. I have a older Wingmaster with a 30 " modified barrel that will keep cheap 2 3/4 00 Estate buckshot in a dinner plate at 50 yards.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
I have a benelli SBE2 with buckkicker full choke. Remington 00 3.5 inch was 18 /18 at 50 yds in a 22x28 inch square. At 75 yds it put 13/18 pellets.

Federal shells were not that effective. Winchester was decent but not nearly as good at Remington.

Last edited:

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Get you one of these and try some different buckshot loads to see what the choke likes
https://www.kicks-ind.com/category/buckkicker.html I got x-full for my Browning gold and have taken deer at 45 to 50 yards.
My shoots a good pattern with Winchester copper-plated 00 buck (15 pellets).

The buck kicker is a great choke. I have one and would recommend to anyone. The pics are of my patterns at 50 and 75 yds with Remington 3.5" 00 buckshot out of a benelli sbe2 28" barrell.

Attachments

• 20171007_204900.jpg
    20171007_204900.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20171007_210119.jpg
    20171007_210119.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 20