Favorite deer camp meal?

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Venison spaghetti, venison chili, venison stew, BBQ venison, vegetable soup with canned venison as a base, grilled venison backstraps and of course, bologna sammiches.... :)

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Back in the day, when I was in a club in Franklin Co., we only had breakfast at the clubhouse unless it was a planned cookout for the families. Every morning of a hunt I would be at the clubhouse around 4 AM and the coffee pot would be hot. Had it set on a timer to come on at 3:30 so I could have a cup when I got there. We had an old 5 burner gas stove and one of the members had brought a "skillet" that his father had welded together. It looked like it was made out of broiler plate it was so thick and heavy but it fit a stove top perfectly. The sides were about 2 inches tall and the right half of it had a step-up which served as a warmer area. First task was cutting up 5 lbs. of sausage links bought the night before from the local store, along with 2 pounds of hoop cheese and a few dozen eggs. As the sausage was cooking the cheese was shreaded and eggs cracked and scrambled. Once most everyone was there that usually ate breakfast some of the excess grease was dipped out before the cheese was sprinkled onto the greasy skillet. When that was melted, the eggs were added and gently worked till all was done. A loaf of bread and a jar of grape jelly was on the table and that was it. Half the crowd would always cry about heading to the outhouse right after breakfast and the other half would yell about being clogged up by all that cheese but there was never anything left over. I sure miss those meals with that group.

Speed1

Eight Pointer
Fried pork chops, rice, gravy, collard greens and cornbread. That is the traditional first meal at supper for our annual bowhunt camp. Monday is the day, come on Monday!

D1RICH1

Ten Pointer
Get enough ribs and sauerkraut to fill your slow-cooker. Start with a layer of kraut, layer of ribs, repeat until the pot is full. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 6-8. Can't hardly pick up a rib by the bone---meat just falls off. Can't over cook it I don't think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D1RICH1

Ten Pointer
Here’s another. Deer chili
2 lb of course ground deer meat with beef tallow added.
1 onion
3 jalapenos
red pepper
cumin
salt
course ground black pepper
chili powder 2 tablespoons
1 red bell pepper
1 can of black beans
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 dos XX
olive oil

in a cast iron pot add a little olive oil heat on med high until hot add meat, chopped onion, chopped jal. chopped bell pepper brown meat then add seasonings.
turn fire down add dos xx and water to just cover the meat simmer 1 hr.
add tomatoes drain and wash beans then add cook another 20 min.
serve with corn bread and a cold beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maz

Button Buck
Lasttombstone, that's what I'm talking about! Memoires and traditions.

At our camp we are on our own for breakfast and lunch, dinner is for sharing.

Last edited:

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Back when I was a kid, one of the camp favorites was to fry up a big skillet of sliced potatoes, kielbasa sausage, peppers and onions.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I like those meals where we throw a bunch of different foods on the grill and just stand around and eat it as it comes off. No tables, no plates, no utensils.

gameland

Twelve Pointer
Seeing as how most of the time were on a gameland somewhere it's normally hot dogs or sausages with cheese and jalapeños cooked on a table top grill on a tailgate. But still a great time!

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Never been part of a club but I love throwing a roast in the crock with an onion or two, and a couple cans of beef consume.

Shred it and throw it on a hoagie bun with provolone, Smokey horseradish, banana peppers and your choice of vegetables

Another I really like is sausage scrambled and mixed with cream cheese and thrown in a baking dish lined with crescent rolls, and then topped with the rolls. Brown in th oven and eat up.

The latter will clog your arteries but it sure is good.

Both recipes learned from my good buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I like those meals where we throw a bunch of different foods on the grill and just stand around and eat it as it comes off. No tables, no plates, no utensils.

You'd love the summer get together at Conman's then

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Had a friend that would come to our camp in PA and bring us leftover soup from a PSU taillgate. My favorite is Buffalo Wing Soup. One pot was enough to feed me and Dad all week. Nothing better than a hot bowl of soup after a long cold all day sit. Favorite lunch was brisket sandwiches. We would make the biggest brisket we could find the firs night and slice it thin. Simple to make at 4:30 in the morning. White bread, mayo, sliced brisket. Add a few snickers and a few cookies in a town paper lunch sack and you were good to go all day

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
On Labor Day Weekend we cook wings, loaded tots and veggie tray. Wings come out and get dusted with creole on both sides. After a bag of tots get fried it’s cheese and crumbled bacon, quick broil and dig in. Broccoli, carrots and celery balance out the free for all feeding.

While deer hunting I like pot of navy beans with country ham bits, chow-chow, cooked cabbage, cornbread and some pickled okra. After that meal you wanna be in control of the window lock in truck!!!

For those that don’t have a “camp” to cook at as we used to not, it’s still enjoyable sharing a meal at a restaurant.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Years ago when I lived in rural Massachusetts i got invited to a pre opening day meal. A couple of older Italian men every year cooked a venison stew served over polenta. There was about a dozen of us at the firehouse most of these guys were volunteer fireman. I hadn't thought about those gatherings until I read this thread. I got to go two years to that gathering not sure if it still happens but I doubt it does.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Back in my younger years living in CO and hunting the Rockies the most common fare found in camp was Dinty Moore beef stew.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I miss those big ol cathead biscuits with a thick patty of hot sausage on them before heading out in the morning. Crackling cornbread and navy beans with cured ham was always a bigtime favorite of mine as well.

BigGun1

Eight Pointer
My son's first t-bone was at hunting camp. It was as big as the plate. He was only about 8 at the time. I am sure he remembers it. My favorite is breakfast in the am. Sure miss being in a club with a real clubhouse. Good food and good friends is hard to beat!

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah I miss being in a club. We would cook huge breakfasts. Eggs, sausage, liver mush, hash browns, grits,cat head biscuits,grits etc. Bologna sandwiches when we roughed it. My favorite is like what someone else mentioned just standing around the grill picking random cuts of meat off the grill and cold beer!

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
When I'm 900 miles away at our club nothing grabs my attention more than a huge heaping pile of cheap Chinese food packed tight in a styrofoam to go plate. Take that 5 lb of delight back to the motel room and lay my ears back. After two cups of coffee the next morning you dang better have minimum 8 sheets of paper towels in that back pack. I tend to at most make it half way to the stand before the bubble guts hit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk