Hawk Helium Climbing stick modifications? Anyone done this?

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I usually carry 3 hawk helium climbing sticks with me. I am looking for ways to cut weight since I am often doing alot more hiking than I am actually hunting in some cases.

The Heliums have 2 pegs on each step, so to speak, One on each side. so 6 pegs on each climbing stick. I noticed the Lone Wolf stick alternate steps to save weight so I wanted to see if I could do that on the heliums.

It does look like the pegs can be removed but before I went messing around with it, I wanted to see if anyone has ever removed pegs from the climbing sticks and if it sacrificed the integrity or stability of the sticks? I cant imagine it will, but these aren't that cheap so before I went jacking up my gear I wanted to see if anyone else has tried this and if you liked the results. I would end up removing 9 pegs in total from 3 sticks, which would end up being a considerable amount of weight.......I just don't know if I like the alternating step deal, seems to be pain but I have never used the lone wolf sticks to try it.

and let me beat you to it. I know lone wolf is lighter but I dont have 3-4 bills to drop on one right now :)

Link to website for visual of what I mean: https://www.hawkhunting.com/products/helium-3pk-climbing-stick

Last edited:

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Alright, so I am taking this as a big fat No.

I am going to modify the bottom two sticks this weekend and keep the top stick intact so I have maximum stability/safety when hanging my stand from the top step. I will post some pics in case others are interested. The more I look at it, I think they were designed with this in mind but maybe not.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
I have no experience here so I can't weigh in on this but I am curious to know why you use this method for hunting? Is there a lack of straight trees in your area to use a climber or you just don't like climbers?

I watch Midwest Whitetail on youtube and the public land guys on there do this also and it just seems like a lot of work compared to taking a climber. But I do understand they have less options with a climber compared to my area where we have straight pine trees everywhere.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I didn't see your question until right now. Just an off the cuff analysis. From your link, each section is 2.8 lbs. So you are carrying 8.4 lbs of climbing sticks into the woods. Subtract out the weight of the framing and supports from the steps. I'll make a guess that the 6 steps combined weight 1.2 lbs out of the total 2.8 lbs. So each step is 0.2 lbs. You are suggesting removing 9 steps from the total 3 sticks. You have eliminated 1.8 lbs of total weight. Is that really a significant amount of weight reduction where you will notice the difference?

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I didn't see your question until right now. Just an off the cuff analysis. From your link, each section is 2.8 lbs. So you are carrying 8.4 lbs of climbing sticks into the woods. Subtract out the weight of the framing and supports from the steps. I'll make a guess that the 6 steps combined weight 1.2 lbs out of the total 2.8 lbs. So each step is 0.2 lbs. You are suggesting removing 9 steps from the total 3 sticks. You have eliminated 1.8 lbs of total weight. Is that really a significant amount of weight reduction where you will notice the difference?

That is a good point. it doesnt seem like a huge amount but to me it kind of all adds up if combined with other measures. If I can find a few ways to save a few ounces here, a half pound here, it adds up. That said, safety is not worth it but seeing how so may others use the lone wolf sticks and they are pretty much set up the same way ( alternating steps) I didnt think it would be that big of an issue. Another thing I am thinking about is bringing a water filter with me, instead of ready to drink water. I do this hiking all the time and as long as I can find a creek with water I can get a drink. Little things I guess. I just know that I am usually very sore after a day of hiking/hunting and I feel I am in pretty good shape. I need to find some way to help take some weight off.

ncnat

Ten Pointer
I have no experience here so I can't weigh in on this but I am curious to know why you use this method for hunting? Is there a lack of straight trees in your area to use a climber or you just don't like climbers?

I watch Midwest Whitetail on youtube and the public land guys on there do this also and it just seems like a lot of work compared to taking a climber. But I do understand they have less options with a climber compared to my area where we have straight pine trees everywhere.

I can hang my Muddy stand and steps in less time than it takes to hang a climber and de-limb on the way up, plus I'm not limited to straight trees and have a broader range diameter of usable trees.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer

3 main reasons-

1- you can literally hunt out of any tree. Why limit your options to just straight trees? I usually to set up in a oak tree and they are not usually straight ( or limbless) enough for a climber.
2- Climbers are loud, especially on Pines. I feel like any deer within 3 miles can hear me scrape that thing up a tree.
3- Hang on stands are lighter. I do alot of hiking on public land so this benefit cannot be overstated.

The only real drawback I have is comfort, no doubt climbers are more comfy, especially for bigger guys. I am not a large mammal so the size of the seats on hand-on stands doesnt bother me as much as it does others. I do have a climber but it is used primarily as my target practice stand in my back yard.

Also, as NCNat points out, once you get used to a hang on stand and in a routine, you really can put them up pretty quickly, especially with the higher quality stands

Last edited:

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
Ok that answers my question. Thanks for clearing that up. I don't do much hunting from climbers anyway but when I do I typically have a tree picked out before I go that I know will work.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Ok that answers my question. Thanks for clearing that up. I don't do much hunting from climbers anyway but when I do I typically have a tree picked out before I go that I know will work.

yep, to each his own. I know alot of folks on here prefer climbers so it just comes down to what suits your hunting style and needs.

I just realized that this was my 500th post and I have graduated to a 6 pointer. I better watch out, I might shoot myself given the opportunity. Maybe I will give myself another year to see I can get a few extra tines.

Last edited:

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
I have hawk helium sticks. I modified mine with a versa button and a climbing rope instead of the straps.
80fbcd32a227dd9b58778cb9669a27a8.jpg

Not my pic but like this. Why buy helium’s if you’re going to remove a foot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I have hawk helium sticks. I modified mine with a versa button and a climbing rope instead of the straps.
80fbcd32a227dd9b58778cb9669a27a8.jpg

Not my pic but like this. Why buy helium’s if you’re going to remove a foot

NICE. did you go with Rope over straps because its lighter, quieter or both? Never heard of a versa button but will google it and check it out. Thanks for sharing, ropes may be next. I heard alot of guys change to ropes and it does seem to make sense.

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
Versa button is from lone wolf and is how their straps marry to their sticks/stands. If you look on YouTube you can search lone wolf rope mod and find more info. Rope is way lighter than straps and buckles

I modded my millennium m60 with versa buttons as well.

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
I also added a step to the bottom of each stick made out of 1” tubular webbing and added piece of pvc conduit for rigidity. Still light and adds another foot of climbing ability to each stick

Last edited:

ncnat

Ten Pointer
I also added a step to the bottom of each stick made out of 1” tubular webbing and added piece of pvc conduit for rigidity. Still light and adds another foot of climbing ability to each stick

I added a rope step to each of my sticks in case I need some extra height.

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
Im doing the rope mod to my LW sticks. Its not really a weight thing for me but so that I can use them on larger trees. The straps that come with he sticks limit your tree selection...

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer

Dang, another great idea. I am trying that one also. I pulled alternate steps last night and I think HomeBrewAle was pretty close in his guestimate. I didnt officially weigh them but if its much more than 2 pounds I would be shocked but like I said, it all adds up. Once I try them in the field this weekend I will let you all know if its worth it and post a quick pic later in case any are interested. Thanks to all those that posted ideas. I am definitely going with the ropes next, those versa buttons are only 5$ a pop so that is definitely worth it.

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
I think you’re going to miss those steps. Being able to have both feet at the same level makes me feel secure and be able to hang my stand easier.