Dodged a bullet

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Tonight I saw just how quick a dog could die a horrible death. My female had treed and I farted around and let it get away. After trying to find it again to no avail I called her off. She followed me on and I got back to the artic cat and I moved on. I went about 400 yds and soon as I cut it off I hear her raising absolute hell. I thought she was in a trap even though trapping season isn't in. She was about 200 yds from me.

I got there and obviously she had stood up on two trees about 8" in diameter that had grown so close that when she slipped down it pinched her front leg between them and she was hung as tight as if you had driven her leg in there. Of course there was no prying the trees apart and I had to pick her up after wrapping her head up in my coat so she couldn't bite me and cradle her in one arm while holding one side of her leg close to the tree and snatching while holding her foot with the other. Of course that hurt the hell out of her but it was the only way to get her out. She was one happy bitch when she realized she was out.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
She wasn't harmed at all, she was back hunting soon after freed. She was all over me in appreciation then went on about her business.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
She wasn't harmed at all, she was back hunting soon after freed. She was all over me in appreciation then went on about her business.
You probably know this and i know you have a bit more experience than me, but...

Keep an eye on her. A lot of the time they don't show the damage for a day or two. Most hunting dogs are so wired to hunt they'll slam through a brick wall to do it and worry about paying the piper later on.

Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Glad you mentioned putting the coat over her head first. As a young squirt hunting with my grandfather one night his dog stepped in a trap. From the ruckus we knew the dog was in pain and we rushed towards him. Me being younger and quicker I got to the dog a second before my grandfather and started down on my knees to get the dog out of the trap. Thankfully my grandfather had more experience (sense) than I at the time and he grabbed me and jerked me back. He put his coat over the dog and we got him out of the trap. He didn't suffer any lasting effects and went right back to coon hunting.

Regardless of how much your pet "loves" you and how well you know your pet, if it's hurting badly it's gonna bite anything that gets close to it because it doesn't know what/who is causing that pain. Just need to all be aware of that fact.

Thankfully your dog is going to be OK.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You probably know this and i know you have a bit more experience than me, but...

Keep an eye on her. A lot of the time they don't show the damage for a day or two. Most hunting dogs are so wired to hunt they'll slam through a brick wall to do it and worry about paying the piper later on.
Yeah, they will hunt through injuries many times but I got to her quick. I checked her out good today and mashed and prodded on her good. It wasn't even tender to the touch. It was just the perfect storm and slid right in a pinch point. I have no doubt if I hadn't gotten to her she would have done some severe damage trying to get loose though.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Glad you mentioned putting the coat over her head first. As a young squirt hunting with my grandfather one night his dog stepped in a trap. From the ruckus we knew the dog was in pain and we rushed towards him. Me being younger and quicker I got to the dog a second before my grandfather and started down on my knees to get the dog out of the trap. Thankfully my grandfather had more experience (sense) than I at the time and he grabbed me and jerked me back. He put his coat over the dog and we got him out of the trap. He didn't suffer any lasting effects and went right back to coon hunting.

Regardless of how much your pet "loves" you and how well you know your pet, if it's hurting badly it's gonna bite anything that gets close to it because it doesn't know what/who is causing that pain. Just need to all be aware of that fact.

Thankfully your dog is going to be OK.
I have gotten many out of traps over the years. usually if they have been in one an extended time you can ease up to them and step on the off side and the release and they will step right out. They are so exhausted from fighting it and realize there is no use in fighting it. If they are fresh the will absolutely eat you up. If you have a heavy coat that is the best option. Bat got in one a couple years ago and was only a few feet from me when he did. He was absolutely wired when I got to him. It was an illegal trap and a big one. Had it not I may have left him in a little while to settle down but it was cutting him pretty badly so I had to get him out then. I put a coat over him and he was still pinching me bad enough through the coat when he was biting me it left some nasty bruises.