Car buying

JFH3006

Ten Pointer
I know this has been discussed before but could not find on a search. Looking a SUV.
Need opinions on Hyundai Santa fe sport?
Price some Kia sorento and others but the price on low mile 2017 is within 3000 of new on some 2018.
Every dealership comes up with a different selling game. I think I am too old for all the BS.

Thanks for any information

JFH3006

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
We just bought a Dodge Journey for my wife. She loves it. It has the same engine and transmission as the Cherokee. Got the v6 instead of the 4 cylinder and only 1 mile per gallon difference. Also good discounts on 2017 models.

Last edited:

double

Twelve Pointer
Been in or around the business for the last 10 years In a chevy dealership now but have friends in lots of places. If I can be of any help let me know

willb

Eight Pointer
get on car gurus and search your area. it will let you know the good from the bad and choose from there.
it has helped me pick the last two cars with confidence. tells you about the history of the cars and number of previous owners

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Never been a fan of any car made in Korea. They’ve gotten better over the years, but everybody I know that’s had them has had problems.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We have a fleet of Hyundai cars at the VA and they trade them all in after three years, regardless of mileage. The Elantra's are my favorite cars out of all that I have driven, quick, comfortable and get incredible gas mileage. They are three years old now and we haven't had anything major go wrong with any of them, that include the Santa Fe that the social workers drive daily. They seem to be a much better car than the Kia for some reason.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've owned Two Elantra GT's and a Santa Fe. I went with the 3.3l V6 in my Santa Fe to avoid having to change the timing belt at 60k miles. The local dealerships nail you for $600-1k for that service. My Elantra went over 100k miles without needing any maintenance. My wifes went around 70k and then we sold it. The Santa Fe went around 90k with only needing a fuel level sensor replaced. I took care of that myself.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll give a recommendation to CarMax. If you're looking for a good used vehicle and a no-haggle price, thats the place to go.

My wife bought a 2014 Toyota Highlander there 3 weeks ago. No pressure, the list price is what you pay, (in addition to taxes & licensing), and if you shop online and see a car in their listings that's at another CarMax in the region, they'll ship it to the location near you at no charge.

We had a good experience with them.

Last edited:

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Dont buy anything new. Buy a CERTIFIED preowned. You pay less depreciation and get the same warranty. KIA has a warranty that is phenomenal. I had some of our sales guys in Sorento’s and the loved them. In fact, when it was time to sell them, one of the guys bought his for his daughter. It had over 200,000 miles on is.

Fuel economy is excellent, maintenance cost is low.

JFH3006

Ten Pointer
Thanks for all the information. Still shopping around. Found one on car gurus but dealer price was 3000 off what car gurus said. May look at other brand options

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Einstein

Six Pointer
I tell everyone, and I know that experiences are different, but I will ever, again own a car made in Korea. I had nothing but horrific experiences with mine. Something was ALWAYS breaking. I’ve owned Toyotas for decades and never once had a problem. Never.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk