Smoking and deer hunting

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I prefer to shoot non-smoking deer. Also I think there should be an age limit before they start smoking. This one took up smoking before losing his/her spots.

a86a387cbd7ae1cf74ab9d05764e721c.gif

Last edited:

The Dude

Eight Pointer
I've killed a deer while smoking a cigarette before (150 yard shot in a field though). So dont know if that counts. I used to smoke in the stand quite often. I've quit smoking now.

I've also killed one while on the phone with my wife, talking normally not trying to be quiet at all (25 yard shot in woods). I also pee out of the stand. My guess is it depends on where you hunt and what the deer are used to smelling.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I think you will still see deer. I killed a nice 9 point in Ohio during the rut, smoked a cigarette 10 minutes before he walked in. I did have an estrus scent wick in the tree with me. He probably thought it was an old Nanny party. I do think outside of rut and using scents it probably hurts your chances with old mossy horns. Hunt the wind and do what you want. Enjoy the outdoors.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
all depends on the wind and how sensitive the deer is to being spooked. When you hunt out west in the back country, camping for day, scent control isn't a top priority and you still find ways to get into range.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Some years ago a friend of mine was standing up peeing off the stand with a cigarette hanging from his lips. He caught movement and saw a nice buck headed his way so he zipped up, flicked the ash from his cigarette, grabbed his gun and dropped the buck at 30 yards. It can be done and he may have had the wind in his face and the buck had other things beside something in a tree on his mind.

GotNoRules

Ten Pointer
I believe it’s always best to give yourself any edge possible, I don’t see that smoking could do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Just keep the truck window rolled up until you are ready to shoot........easy.

Last edited:

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I've never noticed deer being scared off by different smells (cigarettes, dip, gasoline, etc) as long as they don't catch the actual human scent

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
My cousin killed his two biggest deer with a cigarette in his mouth both times. I have no clue if the wind was in his favor or not, just know it's the truth. He's a chain smoker that can't go five minutes without one.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Smoking = bad. It took a heart attack to convince me of that. Smell or no smell , if you're dead you ain't killing no deer.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Go ahead and do it. Just let me know where you are located and I'll hunt the trails leading downwind from you.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
If the wind isn't right, they can smell your smoke.

Even if you don't smoke, if the wind isn't right, they can smell your breath, the soles of your shoes, your thermocell, etc...deer can't help but smell it. And I honestly believe most of the deer that have winded us never make a sound.

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
a48145be7e0109fdc5d9cde17211e507.png

Bastard ate 100lbs of corn in one night...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I started smoking when I was 9. Quit for 5 years when I was 35 then quit again in June of 16. An absolutely disgusting habit. I've watched enough people die a slow and painful death of cancer. I want to see my kids grow up. Did it cold turkey.
Saw much fewer deer as a smoker.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I seen and killed just as many deer when I smoked as I have since I quit.

sent from...... Tapatalk

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Age old debate.

I know a lot of folks that smoke while in the stand during rifle season that kill deer.

I don’t smoke so I have no experience on the subject. But I do chew tobacco and spit on the ground from the stand. ?