Anti-seize for a breach plug

Crestliner

Six Pointer
Several recommended an to use an anti-seize on the breach lug. Is there a particular type of anti-seize I should use?

I have some prematex anti-seize I use on when working on the car, will that work?

Again, thanks for all the suggestions on getting the stuck breach plug out.d

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Any type of choke tube lube works. Don't know enough about the product your mentioning to know if it would work or be safe.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yes, the permatex anti-seize is fine. My favorite is plumbing tape. It isn't messy, comes off easily, and works just fine to keep a breech plug from sticking.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would go with the paste before the tape, the paste has graphite and lubricating qualities in it. The tape if it pushes out will allow the threads to gall.

Plumbing tape is not anti-seize, it is teflon thread sealer.

Last edited:

klim

Twelve Pointer
I use NAPA copper anti-seize lubricant on mine and never had a problem with my breech plug.

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
I use the yellow teflon tape. No matter what you use, this is the most important part; don't crank that plug in farmer tight!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-2-in-x-260-in-Yellow-PTFE-Tape-31403D/202078116

The 1/2 in. x 260 in. Yellow PTFE Tape is effective on metal and plastic threads. The tape features PTFE construction and is packaged on a spool in a convenient dispenser box. Complies with Military Specification A-A 58092.

Manufactured especially for natural gas, propane, butane, water, oil and chemical lines
Heavier than white tape with density of 1.35 - 1.50 grams/cubic centimeters, 4 mils thick
Complies with MIL-T-22230A (ASG), UL 31 RO, AGA 3226 and CAN/ULC-S642
Packaged on spools in convenient dispenser box
Indefinite shelf life

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
T/C sells a roll of tape for threads. Bass Pro/Cabelas will have it and it is designed for MZ threads.

LawDog

Ten Pointer
I purchased a tube of Knight breech plug grease over 22 years ago and I am still using it. I little goes along way.

Shellback

Four Pointer
I have run hot water over the barrel while applying pressure on the breech plug. The barrel should expand before the breech plug.