ditchbank

Banned
7fe676c1cf5275badcff309d6c8742dd.jpg

269lb wayne County around 1993

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I've tagged out before and still not have that much meat in the freezer,lol

After processing,each one filled a 110qt Coleman cooler completely with just enough room for a 1 inch layer of dry ice on top.
:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

WLshutrbug

Button Buck
Badlands: How much did the picture weigh? ;)

And I'm curious about the trail-cam position ... looks like the deer is in a corn field and walked right in front of the shutter and posed for the pix....

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
The biggest buck I ever killed yielded 64 lbs of meat.
That would put him at about ... ~ 180-190 - ish lbs?

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Badlands: How much did the picture weigh? ;)

And I'm curious about the trail-cam position ... looks like the deer is in a corn field and walked right in front of the shutter and posed for the pix....

The night picture is in a food plot. the daylight pics are on a mock scrape a couple hundred yards off that plot.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
The largest deer I've ever hand my hands on was in NODAK several years ago...the buck filled up (lengthwise) a long bed Ford truck and gutted weighed 290+. A buddy and his cousin both shot huge IL bucks last year with his cousin's tipping the scale over 320 on the hoof. The picture shows his 6'3" cousin dwarfed by the deer that looked like a mule with antlers. The biggest NC deer I've messed with was 190 on the hoof and while a nice deer for the area would be dwarfed by some of the does I've seen in the Midwest.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I’ll bite, the one in the car weighed 274#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really liked the one in the car...I've mentioned here before I drive a Prius V wagon. People always ask me where I put the deer and I always say "The back?" I've fit two in there with room to spare, but that's in a part of the state where mature deer don't always crack 100 lbs.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I'm not sure I've ever seen a 200lb deer in person in NC. I know they are out there but they seem to be few and far between. Most of the deer I've seen someone claim they were that big get real disappointed when they actually weigh them. Biggest one I can recall seeing on scales was around 180 and it looked huge! Y'all send some of those big goats this way..haha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Trappertod

Six Pointer
Talk about resurrecting an old post. I guess the size of deer for the western states is a direct reflection of how much food they have to eat out there. Farms out there are huge.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
More 200lb plus deer in NC than you think, just got to be in the right area. My brother killed a 9pt in the early 90’s at a check in station gutted weighed 183lbs. We’ve weighed several through the years 200lb or better. I don’t think you’d kill a 200lber down east but farther north/northwest you go odds increase.

timber

Twelve Pointer
I would think weather would have more to do with deer size in other states than food. There are parts of Nc with thousands of continuous acres of grain so dont think that is big factor

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I would think weather would have more to do with deer size in other states than food. There are parts of Nc with thousands of continuous acres of grain so dont think that is big factor

Not really, midwestern deer the soil is high in potassium/calcium etc....so everything they eat is high in minerals. So whether its browse or field crops its higher in minerals than here. Plus most states out there the rut is during bow season so a lot of deer get the chance to get older. So age and diet is why you see heavier deer killed there plus abundance of mineral rich foods helps with antler growth. Here for deer to reach 200lbs it takes age in my opinion got to get old to get the weight.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Not really, midwestern deer the soil is high in potassium/calcium etc....so everything they eat is high in minerals. So whether its browse or field crops its higher in minerals than here. Plus most states out there the rut is during bow season so a lot of deer get the chance to get older. So age and diet is why you see heavier deer killed there plus abundance of mineral rich foods helps with antler growth. Here for deer to reach 200lbs it takes age in my opinion got to get old to get the weight.

I want really referring to just age of deer. Of course a older deer has chance of getting bigger. I dont think bow season starting time has any effect. Minerals may play a part. Never looked at soil sample from midwest so cant say how much more theres contain than here. I think nature had a big part. They put on more body fat in the colder states to help them survive the winter.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I want really referring to just age of deer. Of course a older deer has chance of getting bigger. I dont think bow season starting time has any effect. Minerals may play a part. Never looked at soil sample from midwest so cant say how much more theres contain than here. I think nature had a big part. They put on more body fat in the colder states to help them survive the winter.
Combination of all the above