Two Saturdays

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Back to back Saturdays, one on a remote river in northern Wisconsin, one in a quiet cove on Lake Norman, both on the same black and silver jointed Rapala.

2 Owen Northern.jpg

Owen Spotted Bass 2.jpg

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i'de say that was two good saturdays. Congratulations on the pics and catch.

and dont let him get that rapala wet in the spring, he will be ruined then. :)

it is cycling back as the lure of choice on bedders.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We have caught nearly every species of North American freshwater gamefish, and some saltwater, on a jointed Rapala. I'd say it's my most-used lure since the 70's.

That said, while my son was doing his thing, I was landing muskies and spotted bass on a little whopper plopper 90. Funny how the same species, under the same conditions, can hit such different baits...

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
We have caught nearly every species of North American freshwater gamefish, and some saltwater, on a jointed Rapala. I'd say it's my most-used lure since the 70's.

That said, while my son was doing his thing, I was landing muskies and spotted bass on a little whopper plopper 90. Funny how the same species, under the same conditions, can hit such different baits...

the old and the new both work on them That is great.

FWIW whopper plopper is coming out with a third size between the 90 and 130.. might be perfect for you.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
the old and the new both work on them That is great.

FWIW whopper plopper is coming out with a third size between the 90 and 130.. might be perfect for you.

Already out, I bought one back in the Summer in Powder since Bone (the best color IMO) was sold out. Haven't given it a whirl on bass yet, had my buddy throw it to no avail while I was getting stripers to hit a Mikey Sr.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Nice fish

Yeah the 110 WP is already out.

The big muskie caught at Fontana that I posted was caught on one

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Already out, I bought one back in the Summer in Powder since Bone (the best color IMO) was sold out. Haven't given it a whirl on bass yet, had my buddy throw it to no avail while I was getting stripers to hit a Mikey Sr.

i agree on bone. have you tried the jackall chan walk? took me a while to get one of those in bone.

you cant throw in around stripers though. too much trouble to get them off that hooks. all that racket they put up while you unhook them.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Some thoughts:

First, it's interesting how often the WP permeates seemingly unrelated fishing posts. It's so easy to fish, and so productive, that anglers are simply drawn to it. Besides, who does not love a topwater strike? I'd rather catch 10 fish on the surface than 20 on a shakey head worm.

Second, I tried the 130 for both species to no avail. But as soon as I downsized to the 90, even big predator fish like muskies turned on. Maybe it better matches the size of the Fall forage in the river, who knows?

Last, I think you are right - a little more top water commotion from the 110 may get strikes from bigger bass in LKN. I'm afraid of those bass hurting themselves by bumping their heads on a 130...