Bear feeding bans may be coming to parts of WNC

manybeards

Ten Pointer
I personally know a very ethical hunter in Washington county who was fined $1,000 and lost his hunting license for a year for "Feeding Bears".... He set up a bait station(processed) on his family's land just to attract and film Bears. A fed Bear is a dead Bear!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I agree but the NCWRC doesn't.

Which complicates any local legislation

Two other thorny issues on this

Effect on deer baiting and feeding

Effect on feeding birds/bird feeders

Last edited:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I personally know a very ethical hunter in Washington county who was fined $1,000 and lost his hunting license for a year for "Feeding Bears".... He set up a bait station(processed) on his family's land just to attract and film Bears. A fed Bear is a dead Bear!

Feeding processed food will get you a ticket every time no matter what the reason or what time of the year it is.Had some neighbors do the same thing but they were taking pictures.I told them but they said we are not hunting them just taking pictures of them,expensive mistake.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
How can they get a ticket?

The law clearly says baiting not feeding.

There are folks that feed bears up here.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
r) It is unlawful to place processed food products as bait in any area of the State where the Wildlife Resources Commission has set an open season for taking black bears. For purposes of this subsection, the term "processed food products" means any food substance or flavoring that has been modified from its raw components by the addition of ingredients or by treatment to modify its chemical composition or form or to enhance its aroma or taste. The term includes substances modified by sugar, honey, syrups, oils, salts, spices, peanut butter, grease, meat, bones, or blood, as well as extracts of such substances. The term also includes sugary products such as candies, pastries, gums, and sugar blocks, as well as extracts of such products. Nothing in this subsection prohibits the lawful disposal of solid waste or the legitimate feeding of domestic animals, livestock, or birds. The prohibition against taking bears with the use and aid of bait shall not apply to the release of dogs in the vicinity of any food source that is not a processed food product as defined herein. Violation of this subsection constitutes a Class 2 misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00).

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Does not matter what you call baiting,feeding if you put out processed food to do it you are breaking the law.Call your G.W and ask him.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not doubting you.

Most states set a line between feeding and baiting.

West Virginia does:
It is illegal to:

hunt bears with the use of bait.
bait or feed bears at any time.

It really doesn't affect me as I don't feed or bait bears anyway.

Just kinda interesting the WRC doesn't differentiate between feeding and baiting unlike most states.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not doubting you.

Most states set a line between feeding and baiting.

West Virginia does:

It really doesn't affect me as I don't feed or bait bears anyway.

Just kinda interesting the WRC doesn't differentiate between feeding and baiting unlike most states.

NC doesn’t believe in discrimination....

Last edited:

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
If you take the description in law literally then a lot of the substances put out to feed or bait or to "attract" deer may be a violation. Depending on the GW's interpretation of course! :)

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
If you take the description in law literally then a lot of the substances put out to feed or bait or to "attract" deer may be a violation. Depending on the GW's interpretation of course! :)

The WRC exempted those.

They also exempted dog food for baiting coons as I understand it