Hunting Tips Learned The Hard Way

JoeR

Eight Pointer
Choose your hunting partners wisely.
27 years ago I relocated. Until then I hunted with my father and a few close friends. I checked out a couple of different clubs that some friends and coworkers were in. They were more like frat parties than hunting clubs. After one really bad day I finally gave up. On a deer drive a club member shot the ground about 5 feet in front of me from about 50 yards away. He was unloading on a buck running full tilt between us. Later that day they abandoned a new guy that got separated from the group. He spent the night in the Adirondacks by himself. I have mostly hunted alone since then.

CAP305

Six Pointer
In this particular instance I did not because I had another spot close by that I was kind of wanting to check out anyway, so this was my excuse. It was my go to spot of Dennis Road near Troy and I had hunted it so much that I didnt mind letting him have a shot.

That said, I almost always stop and talk to other hunters and make sure we arent stepping on each others toe's. Its only happened a handful of times but I have never had a bad experience to date, probably because of the fact that we usually talk it out and work out a plan. I even exchanged numbers on one occasion and agreed to send a text if I was going to move out of the area I was in.

Hey Dolphan, may have been me if it was either a green chevrolet or black gmc. I have hunted Dennis Rd a ton over the last couple years. Looks like they ruined it though by putting in that fishing road and launch. Bedding areas for does were just to the right of the road in that CRP. Used to see a ton of tracks, didn't see any several weeks back. Pity.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Hey Dolphan, may have been me if it was either a green chevrolet or black gmc. I have hunted Dennis Rd a ton over the last couple years. Looks like they ruined it though by putting in that fishing road and launch. Bedding areas for does were just to the right of the road in that CRP. Used to see a ton of tracks, didn't see any several weeks back. Pity.

I know. I usually park in the cut out on Dennis just past the new road on the right side and walk those trails back down to the field (sort of, more scrub brush). They cleared that opening out also but thankfully left the oaks in place. I killed my first buck last year in that exact spot. I actually did an afternoon hunt their last Saturday. I decided to cut through the timber and beeline to the field instead of taking the cleared trail. I did bust 2 does on the way in but didn’t see any other deer. I saw a nice buck track with dew claws in the gulley near the parking lot 3 weeks ago and a larger set while hunting those field on the right down near the new parking lot when I was turkey hunting in the spring. There are deer there I just have no idea where they are after all that road work and sudden increase in human traffic. Plus now there is a sign off river road so the whole area is about to get blown up IMO. I may hunt that swamp and ride for the other side of Dennis. If I ever see your truck I will definitely say hello. I used to hunt out of a white Camry but got a Grey Tacoma now. My name is Frank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CAP305

Six Pointer
I know. I usually park in the cut out on Dennis just past the new road on the right side and walk those trails back down to the field (sort of, more scrub brush). They cleared that opening out also but thankfully left the oaks in place. I killed my first buck last year in that exact spot. I actually did an afternoon hunt their last Saturday. I decided to cut through the timber and beeline to the field instead of taking the cleared trail. I did bust 2 does on the way in but didn’t see any deer. I saw a nice buck track with dew claws in the gulley near the parking lot 3 weeks ago and a larger set while hunting those field on the right down near the new parking lot when I was turkey hunting in the spring. There are deer there I just have no idea where they are after all that road work and sudden increase in human traffic. Plus now there is a sign off river road so the whole area is about to get blown up IMO. I may hunt that swamp and ride for the other side of Dennis. If I ever see your truck I will definitely say hello. I used to hunt out of a white Camry but got a Grey Tacoma now. My name is Frank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My name's Rob. If you see me out there in the black GMC definitely stop by and say hi. I usually rotate between the areas off River Rd, Dusty Level, and Dennis. I figured the deer probably adjusted a bit after they put in the parking. Talked to a few locals around there and they swear a bunch of deer bed on the islands to the west of the property. Pity it's all private Duke Energy land. Spooked three does off Dusty Level last Saturday. My first hunt this year and I kinda went to a new area blind. Hope the lower temps now get the deer moving. The only thing really active last weekend was me, 50 squirrels surrounding me, and about a million mosquitos. Good luck this year!

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
you sure can tell alot about folks on one of those adventures. :) not sure why but slow flying quail brings out the worst in some "hunters"

You have the macho hunters that cant hit diddly, then you have the guys that are competing for numbers. The last ones are the ones that are competing but dont tell you until its over and then you get to hear about it all year.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Don't put a climber in a thick bark pine tree, unless you're ready for the slight drop while turning at 25' up. May only drop an inch, but it'll be enough to come back down!

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
You have the macho hunters that cant hit diddly, then you have the guys that are competing for numbers. The last ones are the ones that are competing but dont tell you until its over and then you get to hear about it all year.

and then you have the greedy bastard that shoots across everyone and tries to justify their greed, "I didnt think you were going to shoot."

i quit going whenever i found that mr. crossfire would be going. he shot one behind me as well. dangerous idiot. all for a pen raised quail. smh.

Hungry

I learned this the hard way last night. Don’t bow hunt with a range finder around your neck. I drew back on a doe at 30 yards, released and sent my range finder 20’ off to my left. Took me a solid 5 minutes to figure out what happened!

TBH, I’m grateful the bow didn’t violently disassemble itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigGun1

Eight Pointer
Always be sure you get all the wasp out of the stand before setting in it. Learning that one right now!

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Stay patient, stay very patient, never hunt the same stand location more than a few times a season, stay mobile, move to the deer don't try to make them come to you, set a goal