Hunting Tips Learned The Hard Way

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
While in a treestand, the absolute sure-fire way to get a buck to step out is to tie your gun to a hoist line and lower it all the way to the ground.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes. The Game Wardens will check to see if you're actually wearing that orange hat during gun season. Don't leave it hanging on the handlebars of your ATV and walk into your stand and wear it all the way our to the truck.

Yes, that turkey can see you if you try and slip just a few more feet to sit on that more comfortable stump instead of beside that little skinny tree.....

Yep..it would have been a good idea to pack some rain gear and dry clothes into your pack when the weatherman says it MIGHT RAIN today.

You can never have too many dry reloads and primers for your muzzle loader in your truck, your pack and your pockets.

Shoot that broadhead at a target before you actually hunt with it...it's not gonna hit where your field tip did...regardless what the package says.

Two sharp knives are better than one...especially after the one gets dull.

Hunting is supposed to be fun......just keep reminding yourself of that.

CAP305

Six Pointer
Don't get in a hurry to go retrieve the biggest buck you've ever arrowed. You may just bump it into the next county and lose it. (buh bye Mr Crab Claw)

Always take your time and actually use the lineman's strap/harness when taking down the hang on stand after the hunt is over. (thank god the fall was only 8' or so and I could kick away from the tree on the way down)

If you shoot a deer on gameland make sure the drag is downhill to the truck.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Tie off the bottom of your climber!!!! Too long to post why, but around 14 years ago I posted the story.

Make sure the deer is dead before draggin it!!! Also a long time ago, also posted.

Tie off your canoe to shore when you row to shore to poop! Also a long time ago, also posted.

Bring Toilet paper with you!!!

Sprinkle mzl caps ALL THROUGOUT your hunting gear!! All pockets, all orifices etc!

Make Sure your Cousin brings his Cell Phone with him hunting!!!

Strap your treestand to your ATV VERY well!! And carry some side cutters on your ATV in case the cables wrap around your ATV axle when it falls off!

Bring More Sammiches, in case the guy with you makes fun of you for making them, and then asks for one hours later!

Don't shoot if your brain says "it's too far"!!!

sigh.

And this was just one trip! ;)

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Don't forget to disengage your safety especially on your lever action. If the safety is on when I pull the trigger on my lever it drops the hammer and makes a loud click. The bucks use that as a cue to run away.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you shoot more than one deer and one runs off, do not move the other one until your tracking help gets there!.. had a buddy shoot two.. one laying stone dead other one took off.. Me, QBD and QBD2 arrive and start to do what we do.. in the dark, in the bottom.. but we kept ending up where we started and all of us scratching our heads about how.. come to find out where the dead one was laying was not where it was shot.. he had drug her through the blood trail of the other one.. took forever to figure that mess out..

mattharris0414

Ha ha ha hs ha ha ha. Im still laughing at that one! Oh soo true

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
While in a treestand, the absolute sure-fire way to get a buck to step out is to tie your gun to a hoist line and lower it all the way to the ground.

THIS!! Or in my case, right as you sit down, your wife is halfway up the ladder & your rifle is still hanging on the rope.largest buck we have ever seen on the farm. Bedded 50 yrds from the stand.

Always reload & prepare for a 2nd shot. I’ve lost 2 deer over the yrs from being too hasty to set down my rifle & either start down or pickup my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
This would be the best lesson by far and the second would be after the shot and you are blood trailing the deer, go slow with very few people helping track.
Leave one [or flagging tape/TP] at the last blood and DO NOT let anyone go ahead of the track to just see if they can "just see the deer".
When the blood trail gets thin, STOP and get a dog.
Never, ever grid search for a deer until you have tried a dog.
Several folks on here have lost deer this year by not following this plan.
Remember, NEVER GRID SEARCH FOR A DEER UNTIL AFTER A DOG FAILS TO FIND YOUR DEER.
Buy a dog, train your housedog, use a friends dog or hire a pro tracker. Just give a dog [any dog] a chance before you fill the woods with folks.

That isn't an option in many states. Where I live in Iowa blood tracking dogs are illegal.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Biggest thing I have learned is never get down early. Over 17 years of hunting, I cannot count the number of times I said to myself "well I aint seeing much, I might as well get down", only to have deer come by while I am climbing down the tree or as soon as I get on the ground. I now stay put until it is dark.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
This happened to a friend of mine I took hunting wit me. Decent 8pt steps out 75 yds broadside. He pulls the trigger and its just "click" the deer looks at us and as he moves to chamber a round the deer is gone.
Or have one chambered on the way to the stand. Twice in my life I had deer walk 30 yards in front of me on the way to the stand and stop broadside. Click. No round in the chamber.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Re-learned again this past weekend:

Make sure your thumb's out of the way before your release the bolt on your shotgun. Dang-near took the tip of my thumb off!

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Triple check that you have a working flashlight, especially during new moon! I don't care how well you know your land, in eastern NC, it's nearly impossible to make it all the way back to the truck when you can't even see your feet.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Carry your bow with your quiver/arrows pointing in the direction you are walking through the woods.
Pull your bow up the tree with the quiver up/arrows pointing towards you.
Lower your bow with the quiver pointing down/arrows pointing down.
These things will keep you from losing arrows in the woods and getting mud/dirt in your nocks.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Don't forget to put your Vinod back in your bag, scanning with a rf sucks....even if it's a quality piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Triple check that you have a working flashlight, especially during new moon! I don't care how well you know your land, in eastern NC, it's nearly impossible to make it all the way back to the truck when you can't even see your feet.

And, that you check the light & make sure you have extra batteries BEFORE opening morning when you get out of the truck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
We all have them; experiences that taught us (the hard way), what not to do when deer hunting.

Since the season is underway I thought it would be a good read to hear what everybody's "learned in the school of personal experience" was.

Mine is: don't assume the deer you just shot is really down & dead.

In all seriousness.....be the first to the gate. That extra 20 minutes of sleeping time can cost you your spot if you hunt in high pressure areas like alot of us. a guy literally pulled into the gate I was going to as I turned down the road. 2 minutes was the difference.

Also, I am learning the importance of preseason scouting if you are on unfamiliar land. I thought I could just wing it and its not exactly working out. I promise I wont make this mistake again. I am going to try to plan on scouting at least 2 days in the offseason for every day I plan on hunting. So if I usually get in 14 sits a season, I want to scout for 28 days. It may not happen, but its a goal I am going to shoot for. So much of this season has been spent hiking looking for sign and bedding areas specifically. The problem is that if/when I find one, I usually blow that spot for at least a week or longer when they bust me. Frustrating but I knew better, just thought I could overcome it but reality is setting in. No shortcuts.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
In all seriousness.....be the first to the gate. That extra 20 minutes of sleeping time can cost you your spot if you hunt in high pressure areas like alot of us. a guy literally pulled into the gate I was going to as I turned down the road. 2 minutes was the difference.

Also, I am learning the importance of preseason scouting if you are on unfamiliar land. I thought I could just wing it and its not exactly working out. I promise I wont make this mistake again. I am going to try to plan on scouting at least 2 days in the offseason for every day I plan on hunting. So if I usually get in 14 sits a season, I want to scout for 28 days. It may not happen, but its a goal I am going to shoot for. So much of this season has been spent hiking looking for sign and bedding areas specifically. The problem is that if/when I find one, I usually blow that spot for at least a week or longer when they bust me. Frustrating but I knew better, just thought I could overcome it but reality is setting in. No shortcuts.

that is a very good point on being early. no excuse not to be first to your spot.

unless you are duck hunting. :) the tales i hear there are extreme even for me.

Dolfan- you been learning from those beast boys?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

Did you leave or did you go talk to the other hunter? If the area being hunted is large, it seems a good opportunity for both of you to hunt it without interfering with each other.

JakeH

Four Pointer
Been deer hunting for better than 14 years now and I still have to remind myself to be patient and breathe when I see a deer.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Did you leave or did you go talk to the other hunter? If the area being hunted is large, it seems a good opportunity for both of you to hunt it without interfering with each other.

In this particular instance I did not because I had another spot close by that I was kind of wanting to check out anyway, so this was my excuse. It was my go to spot of Dennis Road near Troy and I had hunted it so much that I didnt mind letting him have a shot.

That said, I almost always stop and talk to other hunters and make sure we arent stepping on each others toe's. Its only happened a handful of times but I have never had a bad experience to date, probably because of the fact that we usually talk it out and work out a plan. I even exchanged numbers on one occasion and agreed to send a text if I was going to move out of the area I was in.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Remember to glance behind you from time to time. The deer walk where they want to, & that’s not always on the defined trail.

Make sure to keep some distance between your water bottle & your pee bottle.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
What's a pee bottle? I'm not trying to hit some hole in a bottle when there is a lot of area around the stand. Just pee downwind.