tracking expert help please

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
Shot a nice buck at 150 yards today with my 270. He hit the ground kinda worked his self around in a circle. I thought he was going to die right there but he finally struggled off the streak into some real thick reeds. I heard crashing for just a few seconds and then nothing. I cant find a thing except where he spun around on the ground. He went into some very thick stuff but I haven't found a drop of blood, not tracks, and couldn't find any broken path he should have made. 3 of us walked around for 45 minutes or so but found nothing. I'm going back tomorrow and look again. I thought he was going to be right there. He was kinda quartering to me, had right on his shoulder. I don't know what else to do but give it another look.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Best advice I can give(because it sounds like a tough area to find him) is think of it like a vapor trail. At this point, I wouldn't pay attention to what's directly in front of me, but watch for some type of pattern formed in my peripheral, or offset to where, I want, or think the deer should go. Also, if you know of any young tree or trees in the area that fork at the base, check there. Deer will sometimes wedge themselves into that. I'd also find the nearest water source and scour it for sign. Hope you find him. And there is a list of handlers with dogs that track, on the forum.

brucesmith0817

Six Pointer
Shot a nice buck at 150 yards today with my 270. He hit the ground kinda worked his self around in a circle. I thought he was going to die right there but he finally struggled off the streak into some real thick reeds. I heard crashing for just a few seconds and then nothing. I cant find a thing except where he spun around on the ground. He went into some very thick stuff but I haven't found a drop of blood, not tracks, and couldn't find any broken path he should have made. 3 of us walked around for 45 minutes or so but found nothing. I'm going back tomorrow and look again. I thought he was going to be right there. He was kinda quartering to me, had right on his shoulder. I don't know what else to do but give it another look.
I shoot one a couple of years ago the same way .the deer came out of a cut over at 200yds shot him guarterinh to me at the crack of the gun he went don't an never moved for about a minute. I was sitting there with the gun on him tried to get up ,but I couldn't git another bullet in him . I got from the tripod stand an an he still laying there.I had to go over a hill an lost sight of him for just a second when I got to where he was standing blood,nohair. I looked for him for 2 days was only 10 yds from cut over.The only thing I figured is I some how stunded him .I have send one hit in the antler an go down like you pole axed him an got up never saw him again,but we found his antler.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like you hit high...stunned him. He's either laying very close to where you shot him, or he's still alive.

If you hit close enough to the spine, it will shock the CNS and the deer drops. Most times when this happens, you either sever the spinal cord, or bone fragments shred the top of the lungs.

If neither of those things happens, the shock wears off and the deer gets up and runs away. The only thing on top of the spine is meat...

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Shocking the CNS is one possibility.

Sometimes there's no blood to be seen at the hit site, and you might not find any until you've tracked 100 yards or so.

There should be some sign though, if he struggled on the ground as much as you say. Not to doubt you, but are you certain you're looking in the right spot? Sometimes in the excitement of the moment, we misjudge exactly where the deer was standing, and being off by a few yards can make all the difference.
When you go back today, take a spray bottle filled with hydrogen peroxide with you and spray the spot where you think the deer was standing when you shot it. If there's blood there, the peroxide will foam it up. Of course in this warm weather, any blood should have lots of ants / daddy long legs on it, so look for that, also.

Good luck finding it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
If you heard crashing (or thrashing) I bet he is still down and dead, take some buddies, walk side by side, close enough that you can see each other and find him...If one has a dog, take him with you, the dog may not track but he will mess with him if he is down...

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Just a tip...If they are quartering, don't aim right on the shoulder...If quartering to you, aim where the shoulder and neck come together, if quartering away, aim just behind the shoulder...Good luck finding him!!

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sounds like you hit high...stunned him. He's either laying very close to where you shot him, or he's still alive.

If you hit close enough to the spine, it will shock the CNS and the deer drops. Most times when this happens, you either sever the spinal cord, or bone fragments shred the top of the lungs.

If neither of those things happens, the shock wears off and the deer gets up and runs away. The only thing on top of the spine is meat...

This, I and we know this from experience and have pictures to prove it. I got to kill that deer twice and his skull is in my study.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I'll quote it again.

I had a nice 10 point in MT drop like a rock and then get up and take off after about 10 seconds. My shot was a little higher than I intended, and it was very clear after just a few hundred yards that this deer was not fatally wounded. It'll leave you scratching your head for sure.

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
Thanks guys for the help, going to look in about an hour from now. As many deer as I have shot I thought he would be right there but I don't know. Going to give it my best effort here in a few. Again thanks

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like you got some of the shoulder. That could be why he circled before getting up. The quartering angle could have been slight, only hitting one lung at best. Entrance hole high and small and thebullet path long ways through the deer, not exit could explain no blood. Seen deer shot like this still be alive and some found dead. It just mattered where the bullet hit and went. I killed one that was shot similar. A 243 bullet traveled down the back loin for about 18" and wedged between two vertebrae. I killed this deer about a month later and the deer was completely healed. The ones we did find dead were within a couple hundred yards, we waited several hours to pursue so we would not possibly jump the deer before it was dead.

I don't understand you can't find any sign of the deer dragging. You ought to be able to find where the deer spin around on the ground. A stumbling deer leaves sign too. Running on one front leg usually leaves scuff marks on the ground. I would take a friend and climb up in the stand and let my friend walk to were I shot the deer to make sure I was looking in the correct area. You only have to be off a few feet.

Good luck! I would keep looking.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns

This more than likely...

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Is the deer traveling up hill? Closest water source? Deer could have died and be under the water surface, walk and look into the water however small.. ponds, frog holes, they know where they are. Any hair from the hit?

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
UPDATE: I found him within 5 minutes this morning. He had gone 30 YARDS!! I had walked all over him last night {5 of us} he was buried up under some high grass. I knew he was close when I shot him when all that crashing stopped but it was just really thick. We went back this morning showed my son n law where I thought he went and I kinda decided to look another way. He crossed over one pine row made about 5 steps and said Here he IS! I could believe it. I had hit him high shoulder quartering to me. I got impatient should have waited for a more broadside shot. If I knew how I would post pic but he was 15 1/2 wide 8 pt. Maybe score 110. Probably one of the best local deer that I have ever got. Thanks for all the messages, and advice.

Last edited:

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
Congrats on finding him. I been following this thread hoping you would. Nice deer to boot.

Thanks buddy, I hated I lost the meat. He was right there just didn't see him last night. Only thing showing this morning was his tail sticking out form under some grass. He buried up under that mess.

Kane_b

Six Pointer
Heck yeah! Best feeling is to walk up on a deer that ran...the tracking part not as much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's a great looking buck.

Congrats on sticking with it and not giving up the search, a lot of hunters wouldn't have made that second effort. Sometimes they really are lying right under our feet.........