Trying to figure out how old these guys are

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
Like jug said, I've been seeing more bucks show up as the weeks go on. I don't have much experience in ageing a deer. Anyone mind giving me a guestimate, and explaining what leads you to that conclusion?

MFDC0414.jpg
10070018.jpg
10070013.jpg

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'd say 1.5, 2.5, & 2.5. I, have one on camera that I convinced myself was younger than it is, until being brought to reality by a few other members on the forum. I'm not the best at judging the ones I have on camera, I think because it affects me directly, lol. And I've never hunted an area where neighbors really do let younger bucks walk. Most 1.5 will be spike, cow horn, or tight rack 3&4 pointers. 2.5 still have skinny antlers but are a little bit wider in the head gear. Their main beams and gs look disproportionate(give up length in one to have length in another.) Those 3 also still have definite distinction between their shoulders, belly, and hams.

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
1.5 and 2.5
There is a link on TNDeer that has a age chart that is good, check that out if you get a chance. It should help you out.

sent from...... Tapatalk

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
Agreed that they are no more than 2.5 years old. What I've found to be a good rule of thumb for bucks is to cover their antlers up and if they still look like a doe they are likely 2.5 or less.