Who's doing the State Fair this week?

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
the sundae is the best fair food ever. layered beans, slaw and q in a heavy duty cup, easy to eat while moving around. Just to the north of the kiddie rides. carthage NC vendor, the ones with the place at the airport.

If they'll hook me up with a no-slaw version, I'm in. So, after the Q sundae...where do I go for the best fair funnel cake?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I always park in the Carter-Finley lots. This year I parked right next to the indoor football practice facility. Free and it is easy to get in and out of. I'm starting to think the best sandwich at the fair is the London Broil sandwich at Butcher Brothers. They thinly slice the meat and then cover it with melted cheddar cheese. If you have kids, take them inside the building where they have the largest pumpkin. There is a small coup in there where they have baby chicks hatching. It was fun watching them peck and break their way out of the egg shells.

The one thing I don't understand is how some judge picks the best vegetable in each class. I look at the blue ribbon sweet potatoes and they look like any other sweet potato. Same with green peppers, eggplant, cucumbers and so on.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I always park in the Carter-Finley lots. This year I parked right next to the indoor football practice facility. Free and it is easy to get in and out of. I'm starting to think the best sandwich at the fair is the London Broil sandwich at Butcher Brothers. They thinly slice the meat and then cover it with melted cheddar cheese. If you have kids, take them inside the building where they have the largest pumpkin. There is a small coup in there where they have baby chicks hatching. It was fun watching them peck and break their way out of the egg shells.

The one thing I don't understand is how some judge picks the best vegetable in each class. I look at the blue ribbon sweet potatoes and they look like any other sweet potato. Same with green peppers, eggplant, cucumbers and so on.

that's why it's so much fun. everyone that walks by thinks the stuff they grow could win. I know i do. :)

they have a book detailing the entry requirements and judging criteria. it's online as well.

Cannonball

Six Pointer
Back in the 80's I went every year on opening Saturday. It was okay but it was never really my thing. I think the last time I went was in 2003 when the wife and I took my boys when they were little. After that they went on school trips. My wife is a teacher and takes a group every year. They are going this Friday. Everybody needs to go from time to time but it is a huge money grab when it comes to the food.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Any trip to the fair has to include some Big Al's French Fries and the turkey legs ain't bad either.

You got that right! I plan on getting a cup of Big Al's fries to go with my cup of barbecue sundae o.s. talked me into. Oh crap...assuming I'll get a drink....how am I gonna walk around with three cups?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
heading back this year for sure. some easy tips for those that hate crowds. go in the day time.

park in the private lots on the west side of the fairground; the houses on the hill.

eat a barbecue sundae from the pik N pig. take young children to keep you from being so cynical. buy tikets and ride stuff on line.

buy too many ride tickets and give them to some kids heading in as you go out.

take your florian ratchet cutters and get them exchanged/sharpened.

go in the farming/ gardening contests and allow as to how your persimmons/grapes/pecans/hickory nuts/walnuts/ look better. :)

let your kids milk a cow and buy a milk shake at the nc state concession.

and dont miss the racing pigs. :)

Done a few of those myself!

There is free parking and a bus right at Edwards Mill and Reedy Creek (quite close to the fairgrounds, and also a GREAT place to watch the fireworks!).

I have worked the week prior at the fairgrounds a few times. Set up places.

I highly recommend Anderson's and Daughters outside the Graham building.

Also check out the video walls and touchscreens in the WRAL monitor. :cool:

I can't leave that place without eating some Wisconsin fried cheese bites, Bacon covered grilled cheese, an onion blossom, and my family always stops for NC State Ice Cream.

We always check out the critter and plant/veggie showcase.

I may ask in the village of yesteryear if anyone can scribe/paint the year on my turkey spurs. That would be cool.

Last edited:

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Reading this thread made me realize how much I've missed the food there..haven't been in quite a while.