Strange Happenings

Jammer

Six Pointer
Strange happenings on the hunt this morning. After a late start because someone ( not me) oversleeping and a missed turn ( me) on the way to the woods, we got set up right at sunrise. 20 minutes later my boss ( first time hunter) spotted a deer and took a shot at his first ever deer. The deer ran off so we sat and waited. Five minutes later what we thought was another deer steps out and so I shot it. When we went to go find our deer, we could only find 1 blood trail. OBVIOUSLY, he missed his and I shot my deer. When we skinned the deer we found 2 bullets. It seems we both shot the same deer. The dang thing acted like there was nothing wrong when it came back. It was slowly grazing as it came in. Not a bad day in the woods ( unless you were a deer).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
what guns/bullets? Ive heard of this on a couple occasions. Heard of deer being shot and not doing anything. Then being shot again by same person a few seconds later. Strange that neither bullet made it out.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Does said boss need to learn shot placement? :D
At least it all turned out good, and an unusual story to go along with it!

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Definitely heard about this with arrows before. Not shooting twice, but a shot deer continuing like nothing happened.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Forgive me if I’ve told this one before.

I took one of my tactical 870’s to the woods one morning loaded with full-power 1 oz Foster slugs. A young buck came running through the woods mid-morning at about 50 yards presenting me with a decent broad side shot. I put the front sight on his nose and took the shot. I thought to myself as the shot broke that I may have led him too far but it was already a done deal.

He pitched up in the air, did a 360 on the ground and laid there for a few seconds. Just as I was feeling pretty good about that shot, he jumped up and starting walking off like nothing happened. I attempted to cycle the action and the round got bound up on the carrier. By the time I got it cleared (about 30 seconds or more) he was walking straight away at about 90 yards so I didn’t shoot again. (*Both shell latches had come un-staked at the shot.)

I came down from the stand and found just a little bit of blood, some hair, and some tiny bone fragments. I followed the path he took and found just a small number of “flecks” of blood. I climbed back in the stand with the intention of hunting till noon and then continuing my search.

When I came out at lunch, there was my deer hanging from a tree. I recognized the deer being the same one I shot because he had a jacked-up little set of horns that were distinctive. My buddy had shot the deer through the middle with a .308 and there were no other obvious signs of the deer being hit. I was flabbergasted as I knew it was the same deer. My buddy said the deer was easing along feeding on acorns when he shot it undisturbed.

As the deer was hanging head down, I finally lifted his head to get a better look at his horns (thinking he might have a twin) when I noticed he didn’t have a left eye. I looked on the other side of his face and lo and behold, there was the slug’s exit point, covered by a flap of skin like a manhole cover between the right eye and his nose. It was almost as if it had been cut with a razor blade with just a thin strip of skin holding it in place. Under the flap of skin was perfect slug size hole in his sinus cavity. That explained the small bone fragments and lack of blood. There is nothing vital in that part of the head and other than being blind, the deer could have survived, I suppose.

If I hadn’t experienced this, I wouldn’t have believed it. Not a single eyelash was out of place where that slug went through the left eye.

Jammer

Six Pointer
Does said boss need to learn shot placement? :D
At least it all turned out good, and an unusual story to go along with it!

No, shot was a little high but tucked in behind the left shoulder. He did miss the lungs though. I attribute the shot being high to buck fever because he said he was shaking pretty good. I would have thought that Hornady 150gr bullets would be a through and through at 70 yards even when hitting ribs.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
what bullet was it? If both were inside, it leads me to think hollow point....but the mess inside after one of those is a lot more than a misquito bite. That is weird.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
NOt that strange imho. If I was non lethally shot while at a buffet, I would probably retreat a little bit, then grab another blank plate.

I think what's strange is your boss's first hunt is probably one of the craziest stories he'll ever tell!!! :cool:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What did you do to have to take the boss hunting?

Or are you just sucking up a little??

Im kidding....someone had to say it:wave:

Jammer

Six Pointer
What did you do to have to take the boss hunting?

Or are you just sucking up a little??

Im kidding....someone had to say it:wave:

No sucking up here. I’m retiring next month. He’s a good guy. He comes to me for advice all the time. I took him to buy his first rifle and tutored him for his hunters ed. He’s like a kid brother to me