10/14/17

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m up here for a quick hunt before I have to head to Charlotte for an all day shopping trip for my wife’s birthday. Trying to get my mind right before I have to deal with all those people....

Yeah, better check your attitude. I pulled my shift on that last month, but I managed to keep it to a couple hours. It's not just people, its city people.

In all seriousness, I have been reminded recently that there are guys out there who would give anything to have one more day to spend with their wife in better times.

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
42f56d5a8597f748ce5f1b33c7c4a368.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jammer

Six Pointer
First sit of the season and I brought a first time hunter (my boss) with me. We got a late start to the day due to an alarm mishap but got set at about 7:30. About 20 minutes later a doe walked into his shooting lane. I talked him through the shot keep him calm and when she turned broadside I told him to shoot if he was ready. Safety clicks off and and then......click! The rifle has a 2 stage safety. Doe is still standing there so he slowly recocks and gets back on her and boom. She ran off so we sat and waited. 5 minutes later a second deer shows up and I shoot and watch the deer kick and hobble off. Gonna give it another little bit and go see what we got.

CJisLost

Six Pointer
First sit of the season and I brought a first time hunter (my boss) with me. We got a late start to the day due to an alarm mishap but got set at about 7:30. About 20 minutes later a doe walked into his shooting lane. I talked him through the shot keep him calm and when she turned broadside I told him to shoot if he was ready. Safety clicks off and and then......click! The rifle has a 2 stage safety. Doe is still standing there so he slowly recocks and gets back on her and boom. She ran off so we sat and waited. 5 minutes later a second deer shows up and I shoot and watch the deer kick and hobble off. Gonna give it another little bit and go see what we got.

That's what I would consider prefect planning. Congrats!

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm hunting with my boss as well. No deer yet but we are enjoying the Turkey's. He is no rookie, so our luck is all used up. At this point you just got to be good!

Jammer

Six Pointer
Only found 1 blood trail and followed it to a little 6. Still some debate as to who shot it. I’m trying to pump him up but I’m pretty sure it’s mine. Not that it matters to me if he takes credit.
715787bedf5bd4b507e059357c53ae11.jpg

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Congrats to all of you who were successful this morning! I had to come back to the house for a quick bite and to let my dog out. The dog hunters ran circles around me this morning, but didn't run any by me.

I'll probably head back out later this PM.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Didn’t figure I would see anything this morn, movement on this property is always better in the evenings. But it just seems a sin to not be in the stand on opening morn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

624c

Six Pointer
Worked overnight woke up at 1345 in the stand by 1500... had a beaver walk thru the lane now I need a deer...Got it lined up to have the first few hrs off tonight from work for deer cleaning.

GLOCKMASTER

Eight Pointer
Me and my better half are sitting in a tree in Vance County trying to get her first deer.

f9459f0b5d3e5d79626acc16e99e77e8.jpg

7f666040856cbf0f00a326b30637a939.jpg

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm Vance as well. Had myself convinced the neighbors were just making louder noise than usual and nobody was on the property until I saw the black pickup just roll by...

Dlgerow

Four Pointer
The golden hour is upon us...everyone stop looking at your phones!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GLOCKMASTER

Eight Pointer
Well this evening she scored her first deer with a rifle. This is her second season and the first shot she's had at one and busted it like a champ.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Finally on the board! Needed some fresh meat. Special thanks to Papa smurf. We struck out this morning and I got lucky this evening! Congrats to everyone that scored.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Had a great plan and spot for this morning all picked out. Then had to work real late last night and had to work all day today. Hunting public land so I can't get out tomorrow, but I'll probably have to work anyways. Then on Tuesday I'll be gone for about 10 days with no chance to hunt until probably the 28th. Lucky me.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Did not get out today. Had to hit Lowes for some wood to build the wife a new deck. Deck all done now to kick back.

Not so fast.... tomorrow is get clothes, rainsuits, fishing tackle ready for a week at Ft Fisher. You never know how the weather and winds will hamper one style of fishing so gotta have all sorts with ya.. ie.. Trolling rods for kings and spanish, bottom fishing outfits to bounce 2 ounce jigs at reefs for flounder and such, light tackle for speckled trout, puppy drum and floundrr. Oh the insanity of it all.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sjoz

Four Pointer
Got a nice doe with my 6-year-old in the stand. This kid has loved sitting with me in the woods since he was 3, but he was never able to sit still long enough for us to see a deer. Ever since he was 3 he would sit for 3 or 4 hours in a go, but he would get really frustrated to the point of tears when we didn’t see anything.

After almost ever hunt, he would start in, “Dad?”
And I would think “Oh, boy. Here come the complaints.”
He would ask “Is it still hunting season tomorrow?”
“Yes, son.”
“Can we come back and try again tomorrow?”
I wish I had that attitude when I was that age.

So we got in the stand late tonight because my wife had a weekend rotation. A really nice doe was already in the field when we walked in and she busted us. 30 minutes later, another 2 does walked into the field and I pulled the trigger on the bigger one. My son was so excited he was shaking. Then he asked if we could go to Bojangles and tell everyone we got our first deer together. We definitely have a future hunter on our hands. It was by far my favorite and most memorable hunt of my life, just for my son’s exuberance. Great day in the deer woods.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got a nice doe with my 6-year-old in the stand. This kid has loved sitting with me in the woods since he was 3, but he was never able to sit still long enough for us to see a deer. Ever since he was 3 he would sit for 3 or 4 hours in a go, but he would get really frustrated to the point of tears when we didn’t see anything.

After almost ever hunt, he would start in, “Dad?”
And I would think “Oh, boy. Here come the complaints.”
He would ask “Is it still hunting season tomorrow?”
“Yes, son.”
“Can we come back and try again tomorrow?”
I wish I had that attitude when I was that age.

So we got in the stand late tonight because my wife had a weekend rotation. A really nice doe was already in the field when we walked in and she busted us. 30 minutes later, another 2 does walked into the field and I pulled the trigger on the bigger one. My son was so excited he was shaking. Then he asked if we could go to Bojangles and tell everyone we got our first deer together. We definitely have a future hunter on our hands. It was by far my favorite and most memorable hunt of my life, just for my son’s exuberance. Great day in the deer woods.

That’s awesome. Hope my son is like that. Definitely won’t be because I didn’t try. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro