Whatcha drinking tonight?

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had an Angels envy before leaving for dinner and 2 knob creeks with a big ole cube for dinner and desert

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've never been much of a rum drinker, but I'll admit this one looks interesting and I've never heard of it before. What's the back story on this?

Its a top end Guatemalan rum. Made from cane juice like most rums. Its then aged from 6-23 years at 1.5 miles above sea level using casks that were previously used to age whiskies, wines, sherries and cognacs. The Zacapa series of rums gets a bad rap by some rum snobs for being too sweet or not adequately labeling the age of the rums that went into it, but that doesn't bother me. I love how smooth and easy to drink it is.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Its a top end Guatemalan rum. Made from cane juice like most rums. Its then aged from 6-23 years at 1.5 miles above sea level using casks that were previously used to age whiskies, wines, sherries and cognacs. The Zacapa series of rums gets a bad rap by some rum snobs for being too sweet or not adequately labeling the age of the rums that went into it, but that doesn't bother me. I love how smooth and easy to drink it is.

What's the price on a bottle of that stuff?

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
What's the price on a bottle of that stuff?

If you buy it on a cruise in Mexico (where I first found it) it will be 95-100.00. If you buy it in a shop probably 120.00. If you order it online shipping will kill you.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Same Coors Light. Budget doesn't call for any good crafts. Neither does my want to be able to form a complete thought after a few. Lol.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I want to try pappy once. That would be all.

I sip captain dark rum when i feel a chill. Has a good burn and the aftertaste flavors are nice. Evan eggnog will be here soon lol

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Dad loves this stuff. He orders online, where do you find it?

I found my first bottle in a duty free shop in Mexico (Cozumel). After that I ordered it online from some place in New York I think. Shipping was ridiculous. Something like 30.00. I'm trying to nurse this bottle until I go on my cruise in the early part of next year. Will probably make the time pass by drinking Pussars (British Indes Rum) and Diplomatico assuming Venezuela doesn't go completely tits up.

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
I found my first bottle in a duty free shop in Mexico (Cozumel). After that I ordered it online from some place in New York I think. Shipping was ridiculous. Something like 30.00. I'm trying to nurse this bottle until I go on my cruise in the early part of next year. Will probably make the time pass by drinking Pussars (British Indes Rum) and Diplomatico assuming Venezuela doesn't go completely tits up.

I'll pass along the others as recommendations. I'm a bourbon guy, but dad loves his rum.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I want to try pappy once. That would be all.

I sip captain dark rum when i feel a chill. Has a good burn and the aftertaste flavors are nice. Evan eggnog will be here soon lol

Buffalo Trace is pretty much the same. Pappy is def good but not worth the hype. I have been enjoying Weller 12.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Buffalo Trace is pretty much the same. Pappy is def good but not worth the hype. I have been enjoying Weller 12.
Buffalo Trace is good, but like Blanton's, it can be hard to find.

I've got a bottle of both on my liquor shelf, and I hate to open either one until I can find more.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Buffalo Trace is good, but like Blanton's, it can be hard to find.

I've got a bottle of both on my liquor shelf, and I hate to open either one until I can find more.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My local ABC manager tells me the State ABC distribution center only ships out the Buffalo Trace 4 times a year........he said it usually sells out in a few hours after they get it! :party:

I try to get 2 bottles at a time unless they're limiting customers to only 1.......:(

Side note - try Eagle Rare!! You may like it better than the Buffalo Trace.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My local ABC manager tells me the State ABC distribution center only ships out the Buffalo Trace 4 times a year........he said it usually sells out in a few hours after they get it! :party:

I try to get 2 bottles at a time unless they're limiting customers to only 1.......:(

Side note - try Eagle Rare!! You may like it better than the Buffalo Trace.

There's definately something to what you say about the distribution of Buffalo Trace / Blantons bourbon in NC - I've been told the same thing. I have better luck finding them in Virginia.

And I do like Eagle Rare; it compares favorably to Buffalo Trace. Not surprising, since both come from the same distillery.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Tonight I'm drinking some Pussar's Rum (blue label - 42%). The black label (54.5%) version of this rum is what the British navy used to give their sailors each day before July 31st 1970.

http://pussersrum.com/pussers-rum-portfolio/

Pussar is a pejorative of the word 'purser' which is what the officer who doled out the daily ration of rum was called.

Pusser's Rum Gunpowder Proof (Black Label)

Pusser’s ‘Gunpowder Proof’ is a traditional Royal Navy style rum produced at original Admiralty strength and in accordance with the Admiralty’s blending recipe last used when the Royal Navy discontinued its daily ration on 31 July 1970.

Gunpowder Proof: Prior to the invention of the hydrometer, the ship’s purser shutdown claims of watering down sailors’ daily tot by mixing a few grains of gunpowder to the rum to see if it would burn. If the mixture ignited, the rum was ‘at proof.’ If it didn’t, the purser might find himself tossed to sea.

Alc/Vol: 54.5%