Which lever gun?

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Finally decided on 44 mag for the caliber, was stuck on that or 357 mag. I really like the Henry but is it worth $200 more than the Marlin?

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Marlin > Henry

I have a friend who might sell his pre-safety 1894 Marlin. I'll check the details if you want it.

<>< Fish

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I have always been a Winchester man having had one since 1977 and I have had a Marlin 35 for 3 years ,but I had looked at several Marlin s in 357 and 44 plus the henrys and I will say the Henry's are not even close to the Marlins.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I've only shot the Henry 22s and I didn't like any of them. They look nice but they're not that smooth or accurate, and I felt like the drop in the stock was too far to use the iron sights correctly

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This one will cloverleaf 225 gr Leverevolutions at 100 yds.........

Henry_44_mag_with_strap1.JPG

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Dang y'all are tough. I prefer Marlins, but I do own a Henry Big Boy in .45 LC. It is a nice rifle and shoots good.

I like the ease of breaking a Marlin down to clean. I also would rather have a half-kock hammer safety.

I would look for a used "JM" Marlin before buying anything else.

Last edited:

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dang y'all are tough. I prefer Marlins, but I do own a Henry Big Boy in .45 LC. It is a nice rifle and shoots good.

I like the ease of breaking a Marlin down to clean. I also would rather have a half-kock hammer safety.

I would look for a used "JM" Marlin before buying anything else.

Been pondering a 45 LC...........what ammo do you use? I have a Ruger BH in 45 and am wondering if the same ammo would work well??

I really like the way the Henry loads.........just drop them down the pipe like a 22!!:cool:

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a Chiappa in a 357 that I got on a trade here. I like it. I'm not sure how it compares to the rest, but it shoots good enough for me.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

BVB

Four Pointer
Henry bashers! who woulda thunk. Henry makes a fine rifle IMO. Older Marlins are my favorite for sure, but Henry's beat a newer Marlin every time.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Been pondering a 45 LC...........what ammo do you use? I have a Ruger BH in 45 and am wondering if the same ammo would work well??

I really like the way the Henry loads.........just drop them down the pipe like a 22!!:cool:

I usually shoot the Remington SWC. I have shot the Mag Tech Cowboy loads but that stuff is dirty. I have not shot a deer with it, but from what I have read the Rem. SWC makes a decent hunting load. I did call Henry and ask if it would handle +P loads and they said yes, being it was the same alloy receiver used on the .44 Rem Mag. Never tried any of the +P stuff though as I also have the Judge, didn't want somebody to load it with the +P by accident.

Last edited:

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You Winchester/marlin sissys need to hunt with a real leaver gun! 56-50 Spencer is where it's at. It basically the sailboat of leaver guns. You not only have to find the right lead mix, you have to play around with cartridge length and bullet nose shape in order for it to feed correctly.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You Winchester/marlin sissys need to hunt with a real leaver gun! 56-50 Spencer is where it's at. It basically the sailboat of leaver guns. You not only have to find the right lead mix, you have to play around with cartridge length and bullet nose shape in order for it to feed correctly.
The sailboat of lever guns, so it only works when the wind is perfect? :rolleyes:

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ammo is available at every junkyard and tire store! I have been steeling wheel weights off of Lasttpmbstone's truck every opportunity. I just hope he does not switch to zinc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The sailboat of lever guns, so it only works when the wind is perfect? :rolleyes:

Nope, works great in wind. It might even approach supersonic with a tailwind. Even if you miss the deer, they tend to pass out with fear. You better have a belt with you if that happens.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRS

Old Mossy Horns

I would love to. Just load me some ammo and give me the rifle, then I would be ready to go.:D