Fish report- Southport to Ocean Isle?

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anybody been in the area recently that would be willing to pass along a little info? Not looking for your honey hole, just general area (s) and bait. Thought I'd check here and maybe save us some time testing the different areas and techniques.

Mallard Cutter

Six Pointer
Talked to my Bro in law yesterday and they are catching a few redfish on Carolina rigs with shrimp. That's in the Ocean Isle area

gameland

Twelve Pointer
Just got back from two days of fishing at Holden. It was slow for us. Couple small whiting and pompano in the surf. I did manage to catch two nice flounder and a slot black drum fishing at the point at Lockwood folly.

Last edited:

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks gl. Got my boat here for a week or ao. Gonna hit the offshore to see what's going on. .trolling and hitting the reefs. Will see what mixed bag we can conjure up.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Big Bull reds are not there in numbers yet. A few kings were caught this weekend as well. should be better for the the Bull reds in a week or 2. water temp is 8-10 degrees warmer than this same week last year when the Bull reds were thick. hope to be down there in 7-10 days.

Davis1613

Spike
Lots of big Kings landed the last 2 weeks around Bald Head Island, couple of 40lbs and several 30s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We did some testing on Sunday to test the waters. Found large numbers of Spanish about a half mile to a mile off the beach. They were zoned into the bait fish and hesitant to hit artificial at the time. Found the Kings yesterday and boated three between 32 and 40". Had one break off at the boat and a few missed strikes. Also landed spanish. Had the cooler loaded. Think we'll go after some specks today as the ocean is rough...

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Our group caught over 20 kings Thursday - Saturday off Oak Island in Kayaks. Another friend went out on Sunday and they caught 7.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Now that sounds like fun! How are y'all catching the kings from a kayak? Just drifting live bait?

They use Mullet, Bluefish or Pogies and drift or troll them up and down the reef or out at Yaupon reef. I stayed inshore this tournament but will hopefully try again next year.