Headed out to the middle grounds again

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Getting ready to board the Gulfstar for another 44 hour middle grounds trip. Should be a great trip, grouper fishing is getting good and ready to load the boat. Weather maybe a little sporty but should not be all that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Well unfortunately my camera died and I didn’t get any pictures. Grouper fishing was better, but I failed to catch a keeper. King mackerel were pretty thick and I managed to get about a 25 Lbs to the boat and pulled the hook on him on purpose. Ended up getting my 20 mangroves with the biggest around 6 or 7 pounds. Overall a decent trip, weather was kind of tough Friday night and Saturday night, but Saturday itself was really really nice and I had a great time. Will be booking my trips for next year in the next few months. You guys should really look into doing one of these trips. They are top notch and honestly are all inclusive, they will even supply you rods and reels. The tackle they supply is not this old worn out stuff you see else where, reels are avert lever drags and rods are Diawa proteus. If anyone is interested in trying one of these trips, please feel free to shoot me a pm and I can help you out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like fun. Would you be so kind as to post a link or pm me some more info.

I'm thinkin I need this.

Alright so I’ll post up what I know. I have fished the middle grounds three times in the last couple of months. It is a haul to get out there, we are talking at least an 8 hour run each way. The fishing is incredible and is very unique and really has nothing to compare to. There are two ‘party’ style boats that fish the area. One is the boat out of Hubbard’s marina in johns pass. They are more of a typical party boat trip. You leave at 12pm Friday and return Sunday at 6am. Hubbard’s is a little cheaper trip, but by the time you buy the meal plan and pay for your bait and tips, then the Hubbard’s trip is not much cheaper. Hubbard’s catches fish, but they will also fish up to 40 people on each trip. Granted, their boat is bigger and is more comfortable and stable in marginal fishing conditions, but they also do not push their boat on the way out and it is a plodding ride.
Personally,I prefer the trips the Gulfstar offers. The regular trips are 19 people max and include everything, including meals, snacks, drinks and water, both dead and live bait. The limited load trips are only 14 people and are a little more, but are super trips. Granted, the accommodations on the Gulfstar are rather spartan but this is not a trip for someone who is not a hard core fisherman or woman. These trips are all about filling limits and as such you are either fishing or sleeping. For my money, I will be continuing to fish the Gulfstar.
https://gulfstarfishing.com
Link to the Gulfstar above.
https://hubbardsmarina.com
Link to Hubbard’s above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
just FYI, I plan to fish with the gulfstar in early June and again in mid August. If anyone is interested in going during either of those times, let me know and maybe we could see about working out an impromptu NC hunt and fish excursion.