Leupold scope question

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
Alright folks, I put the bore sighter on dads leupold vari x iii, it was good elevation wise but off to the right 5 inches. I tried to adjust it back but I bottomed out the adjustment knob. I have never had to adjust one so much that I bottomed out. He claimed he banged the gun against a tree last season letting it down on a rope so I don't know. I was only able to bring it in 2 inches and the adjustments were slow to compensate when I did try to move them. Is it time to send the scope off to get checked out? We haven't shot the gun, but we always bore sight first, he other gun is right where we like them to be according to the boresighter.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Just asking, did you check the mounts? It may be the scope but that just doesn't make sense to me from a bump on the tree. If the mounts are loose that may be the cause of the movement, especially with the bump. If you feel the adjustments seem off then I would send it in but if I could get in on target and true with a base adjustment I would hold off till after the season.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Since your all the way to the right you could always turn the scope back all the way to the left and count how many clicks it takes.
Then turn it back to the right half that many turns ans you will be at zero. Do the same with the elevation and then re-sight your gun again at 25yds then move back to 100yds.

sent from...... Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Does it have the windage adjustable based on it? You can get all the lost windage back by adjusting those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
If I was a gambling man I'd guess that there is a minor bend in the tube that you can't see without machinery to test, if you can rule out rings/mount damage. Had one do the same thing, a few years back after a drop, couldn't eyeball damage but bottomed out before could get zeroed. Good thing is, it's a Leupold so just call CS and get it sent in.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Hold it up to a bathroom mirror and look thru it...then adjust wind. and elevation to get back to center....this way you can see cross hairs moving and have no doubt about being on center.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I would double check the base & rings. Dropped mine 25’ out of my climber a few yrs ago, was barely off. Unless he smacked it against the windage knob..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guybo

Eight Pointer
Does it have the windage adjustable based on it? You can get all the lost windage back by adjusting those

If you have windage rear bases start over and set the scopes windage with those and then fine tune with the click adjustments.

Last edited:

dsink

Eight Pointer
Before you do anything, put it on paper. Bore sighters only get you close and sometimes they dont even do that.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Before you do anything, put it on paper. Bore sighters only get you close and sometimes they dont even do that.

^^ This. Also, I have two Leupolds that require "shooting in the change". You can make the clicks but until the gun is shot and the recoil makes the change, there is no change. Some older Leupolds that were shot on heavy recoiling guns have this problem (Savage smokeless for example).

Edit: In the case of the OP, the reticle is not moving. Chances are that when you shoot the gun, the reticle will change, possibly to an extreme level since it is bottomed out.

Try this. Do as MJ74 suggested. Then shoot the gun 3 times at 25 yards always using the same point of aim. If the reticle is sticking, the first shot may be way off....the next two should be together.

Last edited:

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
The windage rear bases are ALWAYS advisable when using Leupolds, since they won't pay Bushnell to use the patent to put a mile of adjustment in a scope...thus have the least adjustability of all scopes. I have even had to shim bases UP to make them work if a customer was dead set on Leupold.
The only draw back to a Lewy.
Dsink is correct that boresighters are lame, too.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
As others have said, shoot it first. I've owned 3 bore sighters, including a Leupold, and they are ball park at best.