Powder

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Can any one tell me if i can use pyrodex pellets in a hawkins 50 cal front stuffer instead of loose powder.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
can? probably

should? not me,,,,,,,but then I have a severe preference for black powder (GOEX, Swiss, etc),,,,tried pyrodex and such and switched back in all my muzzleloaders,,,inline through flintlocks,,,,,,

BWard

Button Buck
I heard years ago that the #11 or even the musket cap will not reliably set off the pellets. Never tried it myself.

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I heard years ago that the #11 or even the musket cap will not reliably set off the pellets. Never tried it myself.

They told you right, no primer flame can make that many turns and set off a pellet of powder. Not happening.......

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Pelleta are just inconsistant for anything. The burn rates, pressure, accuracy....everything depends on ignition

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This.^^^^^^

Pellets were specifically designed to work with inline BP guns.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

creekhobo

Ten Pointer
https://www.hodgdon.com/resources/warnings/

Triple Seven and Pyrodex Pellets are designed for use only in newly manufactured muzzleloading, in-line rifles of 50 caliber, 54 caliber, and 45 caliber. Use Triple Seven only in a 209 primer ignition system. Pyrodex may be used with standard cap, musket cap or 209 primer ignition systems. Use only the correct caliber Pellet designated for the given caliber rifle. They are designed to be used with saboted bullets or conicals together with a fiber wad. Any other use of the Pellets is not recommended. Triple Seven Pellets are not for use in cartridges, or with patched round ball. Pyrodex Pellets may be used in cartridges.

Use of Triple Seven Pellets and Pyrodex Pellets in sidelock muzzleloading rifles, in flintlock muzzleloading rifles, using a patched round ball, or the use of conical lead bullets without a fiber wad is NOT recommended. Due to variations in the size and type of flash channels of such rifles, as well as different rifle bore diameters, and conical bullet sizes, hangfires (a delayed ignition of the Pellet) or an improper gas seal of the projectile may occur. These conditions could cause the projectile or a burning Pellet to exit the barrel in a hazardous manner, which could cause personal injury or death to the user or bystander, as well as damage to the firearm.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Thanks guys,had a couple people tell me they would work ,but just as I was thinking the #11 does'nt burn hot enough to do the job.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
TC handbook recommends against it. Pellets should not be used in Sidelocks only loose powder. Do what you want but this is the manufacturer's recommendation

D. Buck Stopshere

Six Pointer
FWIW, the black ring around the Hodgdon pellet is a black powder coating to guarantee ignition, Since the "ring' sits back toward the inline spark, ignition is going to work.

The spark from a traditional design rifle would "connect" with the side of the pellet which doesn't work as efficiently as the spark "connecting to the black ring.

CCI developed the #11 Magnum percussion cap to increase ignition chances, first on Hodgdon's Pyrodex, then later on Hodgdon's Triple Seven.

I believe genuine black powder ignites at about 700 degrees F, and most of the black powder substitutes, Triple Seven, Pyrodex, American Pioneer, etc.,
have an ignition temperature of about 1,100 degrees F.

I was told by Hodgdon, early on back in the '70's, that one of the reasons for the higher ignition temperature for Pyrodex was classifying the substitute as a "smokless powder propellent", which allowed them to meet ICC rules for transport. You used to see on the jar, the words, "Smokeless Propellent", which might have been confusing to the new hunter or target shooter. I haven't looked at one lately, so I don't know if it is still there.

I can tell you from experience that few state and national level competition shooters, like myself, use black powder substitutes. If one wants to win, one uses black powder by GOEX, Wano (German) or Swiss. These are quite accurate for bringing home trophies, whether they have a rack of horns or made of wood and metal.

Hope this helps.