Daily rentals for outdoors activities

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Has anyone ever heard of Outdoor Access? I got a piece in the mail from them today and was just wondering. Looked around their website and some rentable sites in Granville, Person, Vance and Durham Cos. list hunting for $25-$45/day. Most are smaller tracts but for someone who is having a problem finding a place to hunt this sure seems to be reasonably priced. A number of sites were day, weekend or week rental for everything from camping to a full blown house, fishing, hiking, mountain biking etc.
https://www.outdooraccess.com

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Has anyone ever heard of Outdoor Access? I got a piece in the mail from them today and was just wondering. Looked around their website and some rentable sites in Granville, Person, Vance and Durham Cos. list hunting for $25-$45/day. Most are smaller tracts but for someone who is having a problem finding a place to hunt this sure seems to be reasonably priced. A number of sites were day, weekend or week rental for everything from camping to a full blown house, fishing, hiking, mountain biking etc.
https://www.outdooraccess.com

I heard it advertised on 93.1 the other day. That was the first time that I have heard of them.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Imo, I think it is bad for hunting in general. It may sound good to start with, but it could change the nature of leasing land.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
It looks like the majority of places on that site are more for "family type outings" for city dwellers, but I found it interesting that many offered big and small game hunting opportunities and was really surprised at the pricing especially give today's standards.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Imo, I think it is bad for hunting in general. It may sound good to start with, but it could change the nature of leasing land.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that this will take off. One or two "incidents" will put Outdoor Access out of business quickly.

HorNhnTr

Twelve Pointer
I've heard several people say they've received mail from this group trying to sign them up and list their properties for daily and weekly hunting.
When I hunted Illinois there's a group out there called access Illinois and for a small membership fee they'd send you landowners name and numbers in the area that ran daily and weekly hunts instead of yearly leases.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
They claim "protection" for landowners?

But can a start up company afford to provide that protection consistently? I would imagine Outdoor Access has spent quite a bit of money on lawyers, insurance, and acquiring landowners already. I would think they probably need this to blow up quickly or they'll run out of money. I'm sure they can't afford many big settlements at this point. And negative publicity from a trial may just run away enough customers to cause them to fold.

I just can't imagine that there is a huge market for a one day hunt on a five acre tract of land in NC.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
As a landowner I would not like this at all. Suppose I lease my farm for $1000 annually (which is low for most leases). Then through this program it's got to be hunted 40 days by different groups of people to bring in a $1000. Don't see this working to well.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I only mentioned the hunting aspect of it only because thought someone here might actually be interested in a low priced daily access to a new place. I guess I should have noted that, from what I saw, most of these places are not hunting related but rather just a place for an outdoor outing or overnight at something more private than a state park. I can't see it much different from the number of B and Bs that have popped up in the country area offering city dwellers a weekend get-away on a farm or wilderness type setting.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
In that case, they will definitely be mainly small parcels, and will probably have very little effect at all on deer leases.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I love the idea, doesnt help much though. I was hoping there would be some land close to the Charlotte/Mint Hill. If there was, I would gladly pay 40$ to hunt a spot for a day. I pay probably 20$ in gas to get to Uwharries or Alcoa anyway, so 20 extra bucks for convenience or opportunity is more than worth it IMO. I dont see this affecting long term leases, this site is going after a different group. There will be those that want long term leases and there are those, like me, that just want a quick opportunity at low cost. Its not feasible for me to go to UNF before or after work, but if I could pay 40$ and hit up the farm down the road for a pre and post work sit, I would definitely try it.

The only problem is that, at least for now, all the parcels are just as far of a drive as the Uwharries, so it doenst make sense for me unless I can find something close. I will definitely book mark this site and keep an eye out on it, thanks for sharing.