Just was signed

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Oddly enough there had been several commissioners against this. But were either swayed or caught at an opportune time for a vote. Now if you have a suspended license in 48 states you don't hunt here. 22472023_1450782048304517_683845130_o.jpg

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
When have more laws ever deterred law breakers? I'm not saying I'm against it...but I question how effective it will be. Poachers gonna poach.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
It will keep them from getting a hunting license. Without a hunting license it will make it harder or impossible to find a guide willing to let them hunt.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When have more laws ever deterred law breakers? I'm not saying I'm against it...but I question how effective it will be. Poachers gonna poach.

My grandpa used to say, "The only reason for a lock is to keep an honest man honest."

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well it really helps people that live right on the border. If they get caught or get their license revoked they have in the past went right across the line and got licenses and hunted there. With this it will be more of an incentive to them to stay straight. No, it absolutely will not deter hard core poachers.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This only took about 6 years from the time it was authorized by the General Assembly to get it implemented.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
And little Billy at the Walmart will check this how????

"little billy" won't know, but when it hits the state they know and I expect then deal with it

It's a good thing to me,,,,violate in one state and you SHOULD loose your privileges in others,,,whether "litlle billy" can tell or not,,,

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I just noticed this when I was purchasing my Wisconsin non-resident license. Seems to be quite a few states on the list, I think it's a good thing....

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep....i agree its a good thing....just questioning how it would be enforced......and no offense intended to little Billy at Wally world!!

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So...at exactly what point is this enforced? Before the license is printed? Or only after the warden has stopped the offender and run his license?

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not exactly sure how it is enforced. But this isn't a new deal. It has been implemented for years in other states. I'm sure the details have already been vetted.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think we should just sit back and let CRC post the details after he finishes his oatmeal......

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
"little billy" won't know, but when it hits the state they know and I expect then deal with it

It's a good thing to me,,,,violate in one state and you SHOULD loose your privileges in others,,,whether "litlle billy" can tell or not,,,
I would Imagine it would flag off the customer number. You don't get anything without one in case you haven't noticed. Or DL number.

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would Imagine it would flag off the customer number. You don't get anything without one in case you haven't noticed.

So if I lost my license in Va ......how will the number play into me not getting a license in NC? Just Curious

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So...at exactly what point is this enforced? Before the license is printed? Or only after the warden has stopped the offender and run his license?

I have hunted in several states and all of them, to my knowledge, simply ask you when you are buying the license if you have lost your license in any other state and, best I can tell rely on you to tell the truth (which we all know most who lose a license will not do) However, that may simply be a first step.. the right answer would be for the States DNRs to be linked and run an name, address, customer number check at the time of purchase... problem is that cost money..

Like you I am not against it, but I am not sure there is a lot of teeth, until/unless you get busted for something and they can prove you lied on your App.. even then the punishment may be a fine and loss of license for x number of years, which you obviously do not care about anyway.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
So if I lost my license in Va ......how will the number play into me not getting a license in NC? Just Curious

I dont know how past violations work but going forward, if you were to get a violation in another member state, its their responsibility as part of this agreement to notify your home state at that time. Maybe they will collect all data from member states now but not sure.

Another thing I noticed is that, in the past, if you were a non resident and got busted with a hunting/fishing violations you would have to be taken to jail I guess, but now you will be treated as a resident and just issued a ticket. There are only a handful of states not in the agreement according to what I read about it.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You won't be able to, or any other of the 48 states in the pact that are as long as your license is suspended in Va. works similar to CDLs did when they went federal.

Last edited:

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Wonder if a red flag comes out when someone tries to update his/her fishing/hunting license? Just got my sons yesterday, wasn't asked about any violations from other states...

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Wonder if a red flag comes out when someone tries to update his/her fishing/hunting license? Just got my sons yesterday, wasn't asked about any violations from other states...

They don't need to ask you, the DNR computer KNOWS it already.
Poachers would lie anyway so it is on the 'net for all to see.
This has been a long time coming but it will be a good thing IMO.
Just be sure that you have permission to be on any land that you set foot on and
you folks who are spreading corn on GLs had better straighten up too.

Last edited:

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When does this go into effect? Reason I'm asking is, there is a guy that is supposed to go with us to Ohio in a few weeks that had his license suspended back in Feb. We already had one guy have to drop out due to a baby being scheduled to be born in the middle of our hunt week. Another drop out may increase the cost past what I can afford.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I would think that it is in effect now. I did read the announcement on the wildlife website and there does seem to be a disclaimer , "depending on the laws of each state".

"If a person with a suspended N.C. license plans to hunt, fish or trap in another state, it is their responsibility to contact the other state to verify that they can legally hunt, fish or trap there."

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When does this go into effect? Reason I'm asking is, there is a guy that is supposed to go with us to Ohio in a few weeks that had his license suspended back in Feb. We already had one guy have to drop out due to a baby being scheduled to be born in the middle of our hunt week. Another drop out may increase the cost past what I can afford.

What did he do to end up with a suspended license? From all the hunting shows I've see you have to do serious stuff multiple times to end up with that type of penalty.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
It's not a cure-all, but it does add charges if you get busted somewhere else. It's a good thing in my opinion.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It went into effect at signing date from my understanding.