300 win mag

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If you ever plan to hunt where you might take a prone shot stay away from a muzzle break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you say that? I've shot both my 300 and 338 win mags with brakes on them from a prone position. Didn't notice any difference.

mattharris0414

Its all about the pad on the butt stock. I have a remington 700 in 270 with no pad that kicks way harder than my 300 win mag with a pad.

seedrooster

Eight Pointer
I used them for years, never had one that was a stomper but all were heavier rifles. I went to a .300 RUM and wasn't happy with the step up in recoil. But it did me a favor, it jarred my old brain awake enough to realize I didn't need a belted magnum at all. I have some larger rifles but they are never used if I was to seriously pursue deer it would be with my 25-06.

25-06 is hands down my favorite!!

30/06

Twelve Pointer
If you want a 300 go for it. A 7 mag, 270, 280, 25/06, etc would do the job probably just as well. I'd personally get a heavier rifle to help with recoil. Also may be handy if you ever get the chance to go out west to chase elk. Lots of good factory ammo in the 300 as well.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I used (and still do) a Ruger M77 .300WinMag for about 20 years. The only bullets I ever fired at deer were 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. Ranges were from 20 to 400+ yards and I never shot a deer with it that ran out of sight. Recoil was a step up from the 30-06 but nothing unmanageable. I'm getting ready to head out the door with it to watch a bean field this evening.

<>< Fish

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
In my opinion, a 300 Win Mag is over kill for deer here in NC. If you are just hunting here in NC, there are several smaller calibers with less recoil will do everything you need.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Wal Mart is discounting their Deer Thugs ammo they carry in 300.

I think Federal makes it?

Kane_b

Six Pointer
Well I shot the same rifle I am getting yesterday and gotta say the 300 was not too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Just out of curiosity I weighed my .300 and it weighs an even 10lb with scope & rings plus cheek piece but no ammo. That's a little more than the 8.5lb I was thinking.

<>< Fish

brucesmith0817

Six Pointer
I haven't weighed my Rem model 700 sp but but no heavier than my savage110 laminated stock gun an I really don't see that much difference in recoil its a deer killer

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

shortmag

Button Buck
The 300 mags are overkill for deer here in NC. Unless you just gotta have it or plan on an elk or moose or bear hunt out west or elsewhere consider a caliber more suited to deer in the east.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The 300 mags are overkill for deer here in NC. Unless you just gotta have it or plan on an elk or moose or bear hunt out west or elsewhere consider a caliber more suited to deer in the east.

Naw man. These nc deer are tough. Plus we need something that will bust through the brush when hunting the briars and cutovers. ;-)

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

shortmag, what flavor of short mag do you/did you shoot?

<>< Fish

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
More is not better...but advertising, etc will make us think it.
.308 Win will fill the bill, but for a lil more poop, you could go up to a .30-06...it'll go from butt to throat on an elk with a 180 gr.
Why waste money on ammo that a deer/bear/elk will never know the difference.
You'd be wise to practice at 300+ some...if you truly will shoot that far.

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like my .300 Win Mags. I'm a small guy, around 150-155lbs. Recoil has never bothered me. I will say that it's about the stoutest recoiling round that I enjoy shooting off the bench without a Past Recoil pad or something similar.

I've shot anywhere from 150 gr to 200 gr bullets through mine over the years. I've had good results with all of them.

My favorite bullets right now are the 168 gr Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertip and the 200 gr Nosler Accubond.

Both produce blood trails that Ray Charles could follow from ranges anywhere from 15 yards to 440 yards.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk