turkeys

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So went over to my local little rifle range here by the house to mellow some, shoot 2 or three rounds,,,soothes the soul you know,,,,,

as I pulled up to the rifle range there were two hens and a nice gobbler feeding in the grass down by the 150 yard backstop,,,,,,

walked down, put target up, walked back, fired first round,,,,didn't even look up

prepped second shot,,,,kaboom,,,,same reaction,,,,

walked down and got target (range closes at dusk),,,,,,,birds finally pushed back to the 200 yd berm,,,,still feeding,,,,,,

still there when I left,,,,,,

so two things,,,,,

proves shots don't necessarily scare game,,,,,
and made me wonder,,,what was that nice tom doing with them two hens? 14th breeding period or what???

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I went to check cameras last weekend. Land owner had some friends over and they were shooting ARs. Sounded like World War III. I was thinking it's a good thing I didn't hunt today. After walking the property I approached them. About 70 yards away from their firing position I jumped two deer that were bedded down the whole time. I couldn't believe it. They shot well over 1K rounds. I think some critters just get use to their environment.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I think some critters just get use to their environment.

exactly,,,,,,had many a range deer, woodchuck, etc on military ranges up to tank live fire ranges,,,,they get used to the hubbub,,,,

just thought it was fun yesterday,,,,,

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I went to check cameras last weekend. Land owner had some friends over and they were shooting ARs. Sounded like World War III. I was thinking it's a good thing I didn't hunt today. After walking the property I approached them. About 70 yards away from their firing position I jumped two deer that were bedded down the whole time. I couldn't believe it. They shot well over 1K rounds. I think some critters just get use to their environment.

two properties away the folks try and disrupt my closest neighbors hunts. start a barrage at deer thirty any time they see vehicle. the boys that lease the land report normal cornpile useage with ww iii proceeding next door.

but it sure is annoying.it's also a nice excuse, as in "they started shooting again right and dark." didnt see a thing. LOL.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
On the part about toms being with hens this time of year, I've seen it enough that I figure it's pretty normal. I hunted one flock during our former winter season that consisted of a tom, 2 jakes, and 5 hens. When they flew off the roost, the tom would lead them to wherever they were going. One morning I busted them up after flydown, and the tom was the first one to fly back to my calling, staying just out of range, calling with subdued gobbles. I finally got into position on him, then another turkey slipped by me from behind, joined the tom, and never heard from or saw them again. Another time, I killed a tom in the winter season who was with two other toms and all three were strutting for the 5 or 6 hens that they were with. I killed a tom out west last winter that was in a mixed flock of toms, hens and jakes (130+ strong).

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yes, I was joking on the 14th breeding season bit,,,,,,,see mixed flocks here often enough,,,

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Had a great opening day deer season. Watched a longbeard with one he could trip over for a while. He vanished and came back with 3 girlfriends. Did a little scouting and found a roost tree. One of my best deer hunts ever.

Forgot to mention I saw a deer.

Last edited:

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Had a great opening day deer season. Watched a longbeard with one he could trip over for a while. He vanished and came back with 3 girlfriends. Did a little scouting and found a roost tree. One of my best deer hunts ever.

Forgot to mention I saw a deer.

Sounds like a man with his priorities in order.