Duck ID

tk26

Six Pointer
I was checking one of the ponds that I hunt Monday and this duck was on the pond. It was with 8 wood ducks and another brown duck that looked like a mallard hen, couldn't really tell through the binoculars. Finally got a decent picture of it today, but I have no idea what it is. Any help? I know the picture isn't great but it was the best I could get zoomed in on my phone and through the binoculars. The duck is white with tan breast and head. Black bill and black wing feathers.
IMG_1817.jpg

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
It has a wigeon shape to it but could be some mix of things. Need closer photos. Heck even unique/hybrid/color phase dead ones are hard to identify.

skydog

Looks like it could be a leucistic drake gadwall to me...maybe some hybrid thrown in to give it the gold chest? But the shape of the duck definitely looks gadwall-esque to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I was checking one of the ponds that I hunt Monday and this duck was on the pond. It was with 8 wood ducks and another brown duck that looked like a mallard hen, couldn't really tell through the binoculars. Finally got a decent picture of it today, but I have no idea what it is. Any help? I know the picture isn't great but it was the best I could get zoomed in on my phone and through the binoculars. The duck is white with tan breast and head. Black bill and black wing feathers.
View attachment 57224

maybe a Eurasian widgeon?
3246240860_dc8c68047c_o.jpg

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Too light to be a eurasion.. While I haven't shot one I have mounted one and it didnt look like that. Need to find someone with a long range camera in your area. If this was a public pond around Raleigh let me know and Ill go out there with the 500mm lens and get some high quality images of him.

tk26

Six Pointer
If I can get my hands on a long range camera I'll get a better picture. That was the best I could do at the time.