Same guy in both pics right?

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
had this nicer buck on camera late in the season last year, these camera sets are only 300-400 yrds apart one this year the other last year..if not the same then related at least lol.

Last year

3463.jpg

this year

09290663.jpg

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Too many similarities to NOT be the same deer, but it does look like he lost some width? He's ripe for the pickin'.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Too many similarities to NOT be the same deer, but it does look like he lost some width? He's ripe for the pickin'.

This is a far eastern Beaufort Co buck its sadly rare to see anything to much better than this around them parts....he does look like he has narrowed up a bit...maybe a bit heavier as well in the mast....they thinned the woods a lot in the entire area and we got him locked into a fairly small area, the key is to get him in the daylight moving around. They rut earlier down there so me and Shaggy took Wed-Sun off work next week and he is target #1 there are several other members with setups in the area so I am sure we aint the only ones with pics of him.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
When my dad sent me the pics the other week we thought it was different because of the difference in width. I revisited the pics today and the left brow tine junk sort of got me thinking he is the same. Last year he was a 9pt with a crab claw on the left but this year he looks like less spread but he's a 10 and his brow tines look a touch taller. He's a stud for sure though.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I think the angle of his head, his ears, larger body size, last year pic closer and more mass this year are making him appear less wide this year. He is a much better deer this year for sure. If you measured his outside with last year and this year the difference wouldn't be something noticed by the naked eye, more likely others factors making it look that way.

Last edited:

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
So last saturday my dad and the club were doing some work. A guy pulls up says he shot a deer down on a neighboring property and it ran over half a mile to our club. This guy shoots deer a lot that run a long way before he finds them. Makes me suspicious he shoots them on others land and claims they run a long ways. Either way Saturday he shot the buck and they never found him. My dad stumbled across him today following the smell. I suspect the deer was shot either directly off our land or pushed by the guy and his dogs.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Don’t hold out Shaggy, give us some details on a helluva buck!! [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wasn't my club that shot him. Ticks me off because I believe the deer was poached or run off our land by the dog hunters. I have firm evidence this deer was not where the guy says he was when he shot it.

Feel bad for an old guy on our club who has been hunting this deer for 4 seasons now. He has only seen the deer 2 times during the daytime and neither presented him with a shot. Him and my dad were talking about the deer today. The guy first saw him 4 years ago as a big 7pt and has been hunting him hard every year.

Last edited:

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
It wasn't my club that shot him. Ticks me off because I believe the deer was poached or run off our land by the dog hunters. I have firm evidence this deer was not where the guy says he was when he shot it.

Feel bad for an old guy on our club who has been hunting this deer for 4 seasons now. He has only seen the deer 2 times during the daytime and neither presented him with a shot. Him and my dad were talking about the deer today. The guy first saw him 4 years ago as a big 7pt and has been hunting him hard every year.

That really sucks Shaggy. I would be suspicious of that feller!!!

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
That really sucks Shaggy. I would be suspicious of that feller!!!

Yeah he use to be in our club and was sorta shady. Always asking to be allowed to turn his dogs out on a big buck if he had pics of it. He lives down the road a piece and 2 years ago he says he shot a deer in his yard that he found a mile down the road. I just don't trust him because we have a pic of this big buck at my dads stand at 9:40am Saturday. Thats coincidentally only a couple hundred yards from where he was found shot.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
That's a touch suspect.

The deer could have moved as far as they claim in the time frame but it seems unlikely he would move that much during the day, in fact that morning pic of him is the first time in 2 YEARS we have EVER gotten a daytime pic of him, and it was in a tight spot close to some crazy thick areas we know he stays in..... we have pics of him almost every night at one of two spots in that block....sucks that the one time he messes up someone else gets the shot and then they hit him bad. Based on how little touched he was by the buzzards and yotes ( which we have in droves on that club and they will strip a deer in a day) I suspect he may have lived a day or so after he was shot. Dad said he couldn't see any signs of a bullet exit or entrance. Sad end to what is a epic buck in that part of the state.

Last edited:

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
So last saturday my dad and the club were doing some work. A guy pulls up says he shot a deer down on a neighboring property and it ran over half a mile to our club. This guy shoots deer a lot that run a long way before he finds them. Makes me suspicious he shoots them on others land and claims they run a long ways. Either way Saturday he shot the buck and they never found him. My dad stumbled across him today following the smell. I suspect the deer was shot either directly off our land or pushed by the guy and his dogs.

Unless you can see for half a mile, there is no way anyone would know they shot a deer and it went onto land a half mile away. Unless he blood trailed it for that half mile and lost the trail on your land. If so, surely he would be glad to show you where the trail started (on his land).