CVA Wolf

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Hey all, been reading this forum for years. Just joined!

I’m looking to replace an older inline muzzleloader with a CVA Wolf. I’ve read a few reviews, but was curious to see if anybody had any first hand experience with them.
Any other relatively inexpensive options I should consider?
I’m also not opposed to buying a used muzzleloader, provided it’s a 209 ignition system.

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scalf

Eight Pointer
Love mine! Got it a few years back for like 120 or so because I worked at Wally world at the time.

adkarcher

Six Pointer
Been a great gun for me. Straight shooter, light and easy to carry.

Hey all, been reading this forum for years. Just joined!

I’m looking to replace an older inline muzzleloader with a CVA Wolf. I’ve read a few reviews, but was curious to see if anybody had any first hand experience with them.
Any other relatively inexpensive options I should consider?
I’m also not opposed to buying a used muzzleloader, provided it’s a 209 ignition system.

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adkarcher

Six Pointer
while definitely overkill, i use 3 pellets and 295 gr powerbelts, hollow points. a lot of guys on here dont like those bullets, but i have killed several deer with and never lost one. Drop right there.

Now I hunt the woods, so I take woods shots, not 200 yard field shots.

tritonbuck

Eight Pointer
I bought one for my first muzzleloader. Have killed several nice deer with it. Good gun for a great price.

Rock_61

Four Pointer
It is a great M/L.. I have taken many deer with my .50 cal Wolf and the most memorable one was a nice 9pt at 210 yards. Yes Sir, not a typo... 210yds. When smoke cleared all I saw was white belly in food plot, he got up took 5 steps and he was done... I use 100 grains of pellets and Hornady SST 250 grain slug.

GotNoRules

Ten Pointer
I have an optima but a friend of mine has a wolf and he loves it. Says it shoots true and no issues for the last few years.

GotNoRules

Ten Pointer
while definitely overkill, i use 3 pellets and 295 gr powerbelts, hollow points. a lot of guys on here dont like those bullets, but i have killed several deer with and never lost one. Drop right there.

Now I hunt the woods, so I take woods shots, not 200 yard field shots.

Out of curiosity, what is the beef with the hollow point. I am shooting the same bullets and pellets you do.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
Mine has served me well over the years. I bought it for 100 bucks several years ago and had it shipped to my house. I shoot 2 pellets with an XTP HP. It will kill em just as well as high dollar guns

Slong

Four Pointer
Solid gun. My dad bought one many years back and I used it through last season. I bought an optima recently and can't say it shoots any better than the wolf.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adkarcher

Six Pointer
Out of curiosity, what is the beef with the hollow point. I am shooting the same bullets and pellets you do.

I am not sure, but a lot of guys seem to run them down, bad experience with them - losing deer. I have had excellent luck, but I am also taking appropriate shots. Like I mentioned, I am a woods hunter, so I don't ask my muzzleloader to perform like a rifle. Not sure on the shots being taken by the others or their shot placement. Front shoulder or right behind it drops them immediately.

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer
Son has one we bought 2nd hand has been an excellent weapon, laid one down sat am

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Mine has served me well over the years. I bought it for 100 bucks several years ago and had it shipped to my house. I shoot 2 pellets with an XTP HP. It will kill em just as well as high dollar guns

Same. Got a deal. Cheap Scope. 2 pellets and a 240 gr XTP. Stacks holes on top of each other, and (knock on wood) has killed everything it's been fired at for 5 years.