Saturday

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Who's running? Good luck to all you lucky fools that get to hear a race with intent;) I've gotta wait til 11/18:(

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Yup, just north of Lake Gaston. One of our properties is only a half mile from the state line.

Last edited:

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You're a lucky man. Va is hands down the best deer dog hunting there is. Most clubs are very well organized with good members and good land. Not to mention some pretty nice deer.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
It will be Monday for me,and it will not be on a deer.I have got some good reports on some nice bear and I have seen a few myself in the counties I hunt in the Mountains,my wife is going to be there first 3 days then two of my daughters will be coming up expect to have a really big time.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Good luck to all that go. I hope to.

QDB, it's not that far east not to hear a race.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
You're a lucky man. Va is hands down the best deer dog hunting there is. Most clubs are very well organized with good members and good land. Not to mention some pretty nice deer.

I hate to say it but they have the most organized clubs I have ever been in. There ain't no bending the rules and you better act like you got some sense or you butt is out of there. We hunt in Southampton and we kill some pretty deer that's for sure. I hunt in NC to make sure I got my dogs like I want them before I go up there. The only negative to our club is we have too many dogs. The land is awesome and we wrap it up pretty tight.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I hate to say it but they have the most organized clubs I have ever been in. There ain't no bending the rules and you better act like you got some sense or you butt is out of there. We hunt in Southampton and we kill some pretty deer that's for sure. I hunt in NC to make sure I got my dogs like I want them before I go up there. The only negative to our club is we have too many dogs. The land is awesome and we wrap it up pretty tight.

That's been my experience with club in Va as well. From Danville east, all the way to the coast Va is mostly dog hunting. If I'm not mistaken it is shotgun only which I don't have a problem with. Most clubs have been established for many years and are respected in the community as they are mostly made up of locals and family members, most of which have been in the club for a number of years. Another thing I've noticed about clubs in Va is that a lot of them have dogs that belong to the "club" that stay at kennels on the club land and are tended to by nearby members with vet bills/feed/meds paid for with dues. I've never heard of a dog club doing that here in NC.

surffishn

Spike
I unfortunately don't have dogs. I still hunt on my property. But there is a club next door. I can't wait to hear them open up on a track. I just love to hear them run. Gets my blood boiling just listening to the music dogs make. I get some overnight guests also when they get lost. We towel dry them give fresh water and feed. Then call owners. Some live not so close so I keep the dog till they can get here. You could say I run a dog hotel.

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I will be waiting on cooler weather. Yes the dog clubs in Virginia are good. R and R hunt club .... Hall Town Hunt club in Southampton county. Dog hunting was nice but I actually enjoyed hunting in NC with Margarettsville hunt club and Conway Hunt club. Seen more deer. The dog clubs in Virginia would run the deer out of the county...... high powered hounds

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I unfortunately don't have dogs. I still hunt on my property. But there is a club next door. I can't wait to hear them open up on a track. I just love to hear them run. Gets my blood boiling just listening to the music dogs make. I get some overnight guests also when they get lost. We towel dry them give fresh water and feed. Then call owners. Some live not so close so I keep the dog till they can get here. You could say I run a dog hotel.

As a houndsman I want to tell you that your actions are very greatly appreciated by your neighbors. Thank you sir, I'm sure they wouldn't mind having you over for a hunt or two either.

buckshot32182

Eight Pointer
It is nice to see a non dog hunter talk like that. I appreciate what you do. We went this past Saturday. Was an awesome day of running. We killed 3 decent bucks for the Dismal standard. 2 big 6's and a bigger 7. Hope all that are going have had great running so far. Can't wait til this Saturday.