21 inch Remington barrel

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
I realize this may need to go in the guns and reloading section, but it's a turkey hunting based question. I am looking to change out my 28" barrel on my 870 for the 21". Main reason is for hunting in a ground blind. I know, lose the ground blind and start for real turkey hunting haha. Just wanted to see if anybody used a 21" and what your experiences were, good and bad.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I bought a new 870 years ago that came with the 21" bbl and an extra full extended choke tube. Haven't shot a turkey with it but I've shot a bunch of turkey head/neck targets with it and it patterns great to 50 yards. I've dropped many a deer with a modified choke tube and the cheap Winny slugs over the years with the same barrel.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
What you shoot out of the barrel will have the most effect on performance. You will likely enjoy the 21" barrel over the 28" barrel while turkey hunting, and given the right ammo/choke combo the turkeys will be just as dead.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
You'll enjoy the shorter barrel and not notice any performance loss. The powder is normally burned up within the first 18" of barrel anyway. I have 4 hunting guns (Browning Upland Specials) with 24" barrels and they perform as good as any other gun with a longer barrel. Much easier to carry, faster to the shoulder and kills as dead as Uncle Tom's 36" single shot...

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
I shot a many a turkey from a 20" Rem 1187 barrel and it worked just fine! Just pattern the ammo so you will know what your range should be.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just swapped my 870 28" barrel for a 23" last month, but I've got to get a lead sled before I pattern it with 3 1/2" Hevi Mag Blend again. :skeerd:

If TSS shells were commercially available, I wouldn't have to shoot the teeth-rattler.

Last edited:

dhsten

Ten Pointer
I just swapped my 28" for a 23" last month, but I've got to get a lead sled before I pattern it with 3 1/2" Hevi Mag Blend again. :skewed:

If TSS shells were commercially available, I wouldn't have to shoot the teeth-rattler.

Don't put it off any longer. Get your supplies now and load your own for next year. One batch of supplies would prolly last you the rest of your days.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
TSS is available commercially now. Commercial offerings are Apex ammunition now and Federal soon.

Short barrels are the way to go in the turkey woods.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Personally, I prefer short barrels on just about any shotgun and I have 21" factory vent-rib barrels on an 11-87 and an 870. The longest barrel length I care to mess with these days is 26".

gobbler

Eight Pointer
as long as u get it to pattern well you may personally never tell much of a difference but there is. on the nitro website they talk about in there reasearch how for every inch of barrel loss below 30" you can lose up to 50 fps in velocity, so say your shooting a 21" barrel and u buy some factory ammo that lists it at 1150 fps (which is measured with a 30" barrel for a reason) then you in theory are only shooting that same load at 700fps, and while these numbers may not be exact for every combo out there u get the idea, but while performace loss is an issue the ease of handling may overide that for you

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Is there a performance loss with TSS in a 18-21 inch barrel?

Yes. But it's all relative, and the only way to verify the extent is to go to the range and see. You lose velocity with a shorter barrel, and it's generally harder to get a great pattern. But lots of people are shooting it through short barrels and doing very well.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Is there a performance loss with TSS in a 18-21 inch barrel?

some but throwing that number of dense pellets its no issue you can kill em as far as you need be shooting at em with short barrel my 870 shoots excellent patterns with short barrel have good choke and shell and your set I gave up using the old goose gun long time ago and glad I did

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
I realize this may need to go in the guns and reloading section, but it's a turkey hunting based question. I am looking to change out my 28" barrel on my 870 for the 21". Main reason is for hunting in a ground blind. I know, lose the ground blind and start for real turkey hunting haha. Just wanted to see if anybody used a 21" and what your experiences were, good and bad.

18.5" barrel 870 for turkeys was the greatest thing I ever did last season...