Thoughts on shot..???

GotNoRules

Ten Pointer
Shot a doe last night. Never found the arrow so I assumed it was not a complete pass through. Gave her some time and went back. Hardly found any blood at all and the blood I did find was tiny little drops here and there. After about 20 yards there was no blood to be seen. Is it possible the arrow is stuck and didn't release much blood. I am going back out soon to see what I can find. Unfortunately I bet the coyotes beat me to her.

GotNoRules

Ten Pointer
My assumption of not finding the arrow or even broken off was it went deeper than just a shoulder but I honestly don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SickLeaveSportsman

Four Pointer
Last doe I shot went in behind shoulder and stopped at the opposite shoulder blade. Only a few drops of blood for a trail, arrow came out after 50yds, and she died at 100yds through hands and knees thicket. Not much blood til I found her, despite lung and heart hit. No low exit hole can suck for tracking, which may be what happened.

GotNoRules

Ten Pointer
Last doe I shot went in behind shoulder and stopped at the opposite shoulder blade. Only a few drops of blood for a trail, arrow came out after 50yds, and she died at 100yds through hands and knees thicket. Not much blood til I found her, despite lung and heart hit. No low exit hole can suck for tracking, which may be what happened.

This is kinda what has been running through my head. I hate not recovering a deer and it has only happened a couple times in my life. Should be seeing buzzards soon if shes out there.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
My brother shot a doe a week ago and the arrow did not exit. He was about 30 feet up in a Poplar tree so the entry was high and went into the front shoulder and stopped. Found the arrow as she broke it when she finally fell. Fortunately was able to track her by disturbed leaves, dirt and blood on a couple of twigs/bushes until he found her. Opened her up and found buckets full of blood inside her. Nothing like a complete pass thru to assist in tracking or a failed exit wound to prohibit the external loss of blood. One thing I always watch for in a case like this is off to the side of the suspected/confirmed travel route. Not all that unusual for a deer to blow blood (sometimes further than you might think) thru the nose well out to the side of the travel line.

If she is down it won't take long for the yotes to find her and about the same time for the buzzards to find her.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I helped tract a deer last weekend that was text book shot with a big 2 blade and it hardly bleed. I was crawling on hands and knees looking for blood drops. We found her but it was tough. Sometimes they don't bleed for what ever reason. Shoot heavy arrows. I like fixed blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: