Gas grills

duckmauler

Eight Pointer
Looking to buy one more to last me..... like Wilmington grills, but was told the stainless doesn't hold heat that well. BQ grills have caught my eye, out of Elm City. Looking at s smaller one. Anyone have any they recommend or know much about the BQ line? Thanks

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Two guys pass each other in midair. The one going down asked the one going up, "Do you know anything about parachutes?" The one going up said, "Do you know anything about gas grills?"

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I'm in the market too. I have a 15+ year old holland. It's a completely different grill than any of the others. It cooks more like a crock pot than your average grill. I love it, but thought I'd do some research on a cheaper grill this go round. Everything I read leads me to believe the Weber Genesis will be my next purchase.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My parents have had a Holland for 20 years, and it's still going strong, but it's a cross between a grill and a slow cooker, IMO. You can forget searing anything. Every steak I've eaten at their house is medium-well.

Jrbrandt25

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Definitely look into the new pellet grills you'll be extremely satisfied with the quality of the food it puts out and the simplicity, but do not buy cheap one do your research

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you want something to grill with get a weber....if you want something to slow roast with get a Holland. Sounds like you already have the slow roast covered with the smoker though.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I went back to the big weber kettle.
Really like it over propane or anything else.
Sick of burners or parts fail even on the SS grills.
I can fire up a weber and cook better than any other grill, better temp control and easy to clean out.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Weber Spirit. I have the three burner with a sear burner and a side burner. Love it. I can't get enough of a sear on a steak to suit me on a Holland. I find the Weber very versatile for lots of different foods. I grill vegetables, steaks, chicken, fish, shrimp etc. We grill about 3 nights a week all year long.

For charcoal I like the Weber kettle or the Egg styles but just can't see the $$$ for the egg.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you can't afford the egg but when a girl like that look at the Char-Griller akorn. I have had mine for several years now and I'm thoroughly pleased with it would definitely buy again

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I replaced an older Holland with a Broil King. Totally different, the BK gets hot quickly & the cast iron grates make great grill marks. I bought the Broil King instead of a Weber gas grill, it seemed to be a better value. I'm pleased with it.

gaberelli

Button Buck
I concur on the Broil King. I’ve been a Weber or barrel charcoal guy for years but when we moved here I decided to get a gas to just get me cooking. I’ve been REALLY impressed though. It gets SMOKING hot for a gasser (700+) and the cast iron grates help keep a consistent temp once you find it. I’ve smoked in it too with an A-Maze-N pellet smoker tube. I bought mine here. Best price around and great people. https://www.grillbilliesbarbecue.com/products/broil-king-regal-420

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

je32

Six Pointer
I love my Wilmington grill has been used at least a couple of times a week for 10 years and is still going strong.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Wilmington hands down. You can cook indirect, slow cook butts or shoulders, heat her up and sear steaks or burgers or cook with medium heat for chickens. They are totally controllable in terms of temperature- get it set at X temp and it will stay all day and they are hell for stout made and will last for decades. I've had Weber, Holland, Char Broil and used others like the deck size BQ and nothing compares to the Wilmington. My Brother has the small BQ on his deck and it is basically a small pig cooker that won't easily get hot enough to sear meat...it is great for butts or shoulders but does not suit the bill for "grilling". Another good thing about Wilmington is they are virtually flame proof when cooking several burgers or steaks...as long as you keep the drip pan fairly clean and free of build up (very easy to scrape clean or even wash out) you'll never have a flare up. AND they now offer a charcoal grill if you choose that cooking method.

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer
I concur on the Broil King. I’ve been a Weber or barrel charcoal guy for years but when we moved here I decided to get a gas to just get me cooking. I’ve been REALLY impressed though. It gets SMOKING hot for a gasser (700+) and the cast iron grates help keep a consistent temp once you find it. I’ve smoked in it too with an A-Maze-N pellet smoker tube. I bought mine here. Best price around and great people. https://www.grillbilliesbarbecue.com/products/broil-king-regal-420

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After doing some research for my self and looking at reviews here and there I bought a Broil King too. They are made by the same people as Weber etc (Onward) and actually had a great warranty on the burners and components. I have had Char broil commercial and several other Top name grills and the burners (stainless,brass) seem to fail quickly, less than 2 years. I grill 2-4 times a week meats and veggies. Great temp control on this grill to sear or slow roll. I looked hard at the "crock pot" but couldn't make my self $$$$$. I have a materbuilt smoker for large hams etc....Hope this helps
34e68ce9897b919473c5d0cfd0b17a9e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

highclimber

Old Mossy Horns
I've had a Phoenix Grill, for 20 years. Built like a Holland, looks like a Holland, but has a burner, with 2 separate sides, and 2 separate knobs, that can be turned up, down, or just use one side, for indirect heat. Has the drip pan, like the Holland. To my knowledge, Hollands, are one temperature.

BigGun1

Eight Pointer
I got a holland gas grill. Ripped all gas components out and converted to charcoal. Perfect now. Lol.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
The problem I have with Holland grills is the one-temperature setting- meaning it is either off or WAO. This means it will do good for searing meat like steaks or burgers but doesn't allow you to lower it down to slow cook things like sausage, chickens, butts or ribs. That said a buddy of mine retrofitted a Weber control valve onto his Holland where he could throttle it down to a milder temperature and cook at varying temperatures suited to what product being cooked.

Last edited:

Crappie man

Six Pointer
Interesting, I've never heard of a holland cooking too hot.

Same here. My neighbor bought a Holland about 5 years ago and ended up giving the grill to a friend.He always joked about going out to turn his steaks one evening in January and they had frozen. lol

BigDeal84

Spike
I used to purchase a new gas grill every couple years because they never lasted even under a cover and cleaned regularly. They were always charbroil type stuff from Lowe's. Decided last year to pay the money and see if I can have something hold up. Bought the Wilmington. It's a great grill, use it at least 3 times per week. No hot or cold spots just consistent heating. Well built, sturdy and looks like it'll hold up over time. I find the knobs cheap and kinda take away from the prestige of owning it.

Last edited: