Flounder gigging around Buxton/Hatteras

redbow

Ten Pointer
Anybody do it? Is October a good time? Heading down next week and want to do some gigging. All input and advice appreciated.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I've never done it although I'm interested. I know some who have gone to HI/Ocracoke to do it with success. The one guy was definitely in a boat. Not sure if you're trying to wade or what. Either way, I'm sure if it's a sandy bottom, you can do it. Look at google maps maybe?

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Pretty sure you gotta have a commercial gear license (different from a commercial fishing license) to gig flounder. Also need some lights and a battery (a small generator is better). We do most of ours during the summer, but there's commercial guys that gig year-around. Be careful with the sizes. It's not like hook and line. Once you gig him he's dead, but if he's undersized you still have to throw him back. Err on the side of caution.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
I’m going on what a warden told me while at the coast last weekend. The piers also have signs up saying flounder season ends October 15.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I just inquired about a trip with a guide and he responded to my question about the flounder bite and he said we're just getting into the best time of year and quoted me his rates. I'm pretty sure he'd know what the season is, given he likes to gig. I hope it's still in.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
I’m just stating what I was told. I agree the flounder bite is pretty good right now. I looked in the reg book, online & coastal rec fishing digest and I don’t see a season anywhere.

gameland

Twelve Pointer
They tried to implement that Oct.15 end of season last year. I'm pretty sure it was even printed in the coastal seasons but it was reversed.