.380 self defense ammo?

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Bought the wife a Glock 42. Any body have any feedback on self defense ammo for this gun? I use hornady critical defense in my .45 but being .380 is significantly smaller didn't know if anyone preferred other brands in this caliber. BTW I'm probably gonna go back and by myself one that is a sweet little gun. carries light and feels good in the hand for being such a small frame. I like my 30s but you are constantly reminded it's there when I conceal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like the Fiochi with the Hornady XTP bullet..seems to be very reliable and it's one of the fastest.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I've got a 42 as well. Great little carry piece, I forget I have it on. Hornady critical defense in mine

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I bought one in the spring, it prefers the Remington hollow points, a close second is the Hornady hollow points...

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I prefer Speer Gold Dots, but the expanding bullet market being it what it is these days, I suspect any of these premium bullet designs will provide similar performance:

Federal Hyra-Shok & HST
Hornady XTP
Winchester PDX1 & Ranger T
CorBon

The bigger issue is reliability, so I always vet my ammo choices in my guns.

herman

Six Pointer
I reload my 380 using 90 gr xtp and Winchester super-lite powder.
In my 9 mm I use the 115gr xtp's and same powder.
This powder was discontinued years ago but works great.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I carry critical defense 90s in my little Taurus tcp.

Had feeding issues with the fiocchi in that little gun.

Maybe look somewhere like CDNN and order 2-3 different premium loads and make sure what your 42 likes.

Peace of mind is worth the sting of having a couple extra boxes of 380 in the safe

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Wife and I just carry RN FMJ for the LCP. For us, feed/reliability trumps in what is essentially a contact distance + a little get off me gun. Bigger / longer 380, maybe it makes some sense to carry the fancy expand-o stuff....

Last edited:

specialk

Twelve Pointer
Wife and I just carry RN FMJ for the LCP. For us, feed/reliability trumps in what is essentially a contact distance + a little get off me gun. Bigger / longer 380, maybe it makes some sense to carry the fancy expand-o stuff....

yep, I feel the same with my wifes G42....

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

You might like the 95gr FMJ Winchester .380ACP round then. It has a flat meplat that transfers energy to the target better than the round nose FMJ loads. It has been 100% reliable in the .380 autos that I have owned.

<>< Fish

Jake NFC

Twelve Pointer
Love my 42. Especially when wearing shorts/t-shirt and can't carry my PPS. I use the Hornaday Critical Duty. Runs good in the 42. Actually it is in all my pistols.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
You might like the 95gr FMJ Winchester .380ACP round then. It has a flat meplat that transfers energy to the target better than the round nose FMJ loads. It has been 100% reliable in the .380 autos that I have owned.

<>< Fish

Tried em....flats fail to feed about half the time. I think the LCP is a bit rough inside. Some shooting and perhaps a ramp polish will help. Just ain't had time to do more than clip one coil from the magazine spring so you can actually insert and lock a fully loaded magazine into it!

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Bought some hornady American gunner to try today cuz the gun shop had them at a decent price. They cycled fine, and if the test I seen online they performed well with good balance of penetration and exspansion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk