Southern Fox Squirrels

goosehunter51

Hey guys!

It's worth trying this again this year. I'm a small game hunter and collector and interested in taking a black phase Southern Fox squirrel for taxidermy. I have hunted them in Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina but still waiting for a black phase. Of course, I'm willing to pay for this opportunity. If anyone knows of a guide or the chance to hunt on their property that has them, I would greatly appreciate it. Any suggestions or advice is welcome. Thanks!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
when you looking at coming down? Since you are persistent, I don't mind helping out,,,,,,,

goosehunter51

I believe that the season ends on December 31st. I can be very flexible with my job so whatever works for you best. Thanks very much!

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
The NC Sandhills Game Lands ( southern Moore county, Richmond and Scotland counties are good public places to go after fox squirrels of all color phases if you decide to try a solo public land hunt. Wear an orange vest and hat as deer season coincides with the fox squirrel season there.

<>< Fish

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The NC Sandhills Game Lands ( southern Moore county, Richmond and Scotland counties are good public places to go after fox squirrels of all color phases if you decide to try a solo public land hunt. Wear an orange vest and hat as deer season coincides with the fox squirrel season there.

<>< Fish

correct on sandhills gamelands other than deer season,,,,the gamelands has a delayed opening,,,you have about 12 calendar days (less hunting days as its a 3 day a week gameland) before muzzleloader season opens on the 28th,,,,

don't get on the Field Trial grounds till into November though,,,,,,,

read the regs, long section on the Sandhills gamelands,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
correct on sandhills gamelands other than deer season,,,,the gamelands has a delayed opening,,,you have about 12 calendar days (less hunting days as its a 3 day a week gameland) before muzzleloader season opens on the 28th,,,,

They used to open up the field trail section to small game (squirrels/coons) the first week also, then again later. Of course that got axed pretty quick.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, and the funny thing very little actually goes on over there, even less during the week.

The first big game hunting I did was with my father over there. We weren't welcome that was easy to tell even as a kid barely in the double digit age range. A few years later I felt pretty smug shooting as good and a lot better than some of the clients of my uncle's shooting preserve that frequented the field trial area. I leaned to just smile and keep my mouth shut about their misses and dogs that couldn't smell a hot biscuit. They paid in folding dollars and tipped well. Good times gone too soon!

<>< Fish

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns

also dont forget that deer season ends before Fox squirrel season ends on the Gameland. usually deer season ends Dec 15th on the Gamelands.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I saw this one and an almost solid black one today hunting near this camera.

<>< Fish

KAz5IAe.jpg

Last edited:

goosehunter51

Thanks for sharing that pic...The solid black ones are what I am after.....

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for sharing that pic...The solid black ones are what I am after.....

1/4 of fox squirrels are black....that one above could have a litter of 4 and there could be 4 colors one being black or all but the average in eastern nc is only 1 out of 4 are black.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
One solid black here is pretty rare, they will usually have some white points, you will see a few solids but usually they will have some white or grey points. You will find some jet black in Ms. and La. in the Delta region.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
One solid black here is pretty rare, they will usually have some white points, you will see a few solids but usually they will have some white or grey points. You will find some jet black in Ms. and La. in the Delta region.

This is true, fishunt when I say solid black usually all of east NC Fox squirrels has white on the ears and nose and feet,
and I mean the rest of the body is black

you can see the white on the nose of these ones 1st one is what is called a Saddleback and it is my favorite color. you will not see many with the white tipped tail except in a few locations.

009_9.jpgDSCF1057.JPG

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
This is the closest one to solid black I have seen in NC. I still has a litte white on its ears and nose but not as much as others..

north carolina fox squirrel 1212.jpg

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This is the closest one to solid black I have seen in NC. I still has a litte white on its ears and nose but not as much as others..
I can't count the number of folks I have taken with dogs in search for solid black ones, most are perfectly content with one colored like the one you showed. I think of all the years i took them with dogs we actually treed two here in nc that were solid black. Other times just hunting I believe we treed a couple and I know we treed one in upper sc, which they have now closed the season on them where we were hunting them there. Those in ms and la are a different subspecies and in fact ms has two subspecies that intermingle pretty close down there. You will find the reds and the blacks. But they don't have the brilliant colors like we do here.

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
This is true, fishunt when I say solid black usually all of east NC Fox squirrels has white on the ears and nose and feet,
and I mean the rest of the body is black

you can see the white on the nose of these ones 1st one is what is called a Saddleback and it is my favorite color. you will not see many with the white tipped tail except in a few locations.

View attachment 57535View attachment 57536

The particular one I'm after in Moore county has a big white chevron on its nose and a little bit of white on its tail. It is pretty unique looking and would make a fine mount.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

strut buster

Eight Pointer
Go to the Delta National Forest in the MS delta. You'll get all you need with no trouble. Jet black with no white whatsoever.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Go to the Delta National Forest in the MS delta. You'll get all you need with no trouble. Jet black with no white whatsoever.

yes, different subspecies and slightly smaller than the ones found from NC to Florida. actually a few Sciurus N. N. in SE virgina as well

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
My prize stopped by to see me today while I was setting in my stand with nothing but a .308Win. Man plans and God laughs...

<>< Fish
mIPrpyn.jpg

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I "barked" one about that size back in 1979 with with a .308 from a rem788,,,,,laid that 180 gr bullet right next to his head,,,,,he was on the trunk not a limb like your picture

Some say barking doesn't work,,,,I say it does if done right,,,

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
My prize stopped by to see me today while I was setting in my stand with nothing but a .308Win. Man plans and God laughs...

<>< Fish
mIPrpyn.jpg

Nice, That is why you need to also need to carry a single shot shot gun with you. have carried 2 long guns many times.