Help with grouse

apphunter

Four Pointer
I need someone to show me the ropes for grouse hunting. I got a dog in March but he probably won't be ready this season maybe by the end of this season.

I just need someone to help shoe me what to look for. I don't expect anyone to share their secret covers.

I've tried researching online but most of what I have read is not really oriented toward the Appalachian mountains but more likely for someone in the north east.

I understand that you have to burn a lot of boot leather I just want make sure I'm burning it as efficiently as possible.

I need a grouse Yoda.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Never hunted them in NC mainly because I hear there aren't that many. I go to Wisconsin where their behind almost every tree and the flatter land makes them easier to hunt. You should be able to search YouTube for "NC Grouse Hunting" and come up with something...

phillim494

Button Buck
Check out the western nc ruffed grouse society. There's a club out that way I think.

Yes most grouse are in the northern regions, the further north you go the more grouse. The closest to the Appalachian peaks you could get would be a first start, than hunt cover as you would up north looking for food and cover the birds typically inhabit. Any thick nasty grownup clearcuts would be good chance but I think still in NC it's either a hit or miss.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Never hunted them in NC mainly because I hear there aren't that many. I go to Wisconsin where their behind almost every tree and the flatter land makes them easier to hunt. You should be able to search YouTube for "NC Grouse Hunting" and come up with something...

you hunt a different part of Wisconsin than I grew up in,,,,

but then I guess "flat" is a relative term,,,,,it is flatter than the Appalachians,,,

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Where are you located? I'd be happy to chat with you about what I've learned these last 5 years chasing the Appalachian grouse. I was in your shoes then with a new puppy and no clue on what to do next. It's addictive and, at times, impossible. PM me with you contact #.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I haven't hunted grouse at all in NC. I plan to this fall at least a couple times. This is what an old Grouse hunter told me once. He was good at finding grouse, better than most. When evaluating cover, he said "look for a stump. Kick the stump. If the stump is rotting and no longer structurally sound, you're in the wrong place." His point was, if there's enough cover and canopy to prevent the light getting through and allow the rot of deadfall, the grouse food sources likely aren't there. It seemed to work the handful of times I practiced it.

Look for recent timber activity, burns, (should be plenty with last years fire,) etc...

The reason NC has few grouse where Wisconsin, Michigan, MN, etc have them is the lack of logging in our National forests.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I'll agree with the logging activity because of my experiences in WI over the years. 15 to 20 years ago when I first started hunting WI they had just logged a large portion of the area I hunt. Very few, if any Grouse in those areas but the surrounding areas had plenty. As the newly cut areas began to get undergrowth the Grouse returned, slowly but they did come back. 5 years ago they logged another large portion of the area and (according to my sources) Grouse are abundant in the area again.
Quality habitat is the key to having, and keeping Grouse.

adkarcher

Six Pointer
hmmm....never had a setter and didn't hunt them from the truck, so not sure now what I hunted.

But I do know that they startled me many times when rabbit hunting when they come up out of being buried in the snow....

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
On a similar note, has anyone been scouting in or near the areas that burned up last year?

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Up in PA we look for four things. Sapling thickets, laurel thickets, grapevines, and anywhere there are birch and pines mixed