If you Could Hunt Anywhere in NC Which County Would You Chose?

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Where would you prefer to hunt and Why? If you want to be more specific that would be welcomed.
This is not cyber scouting, I have places I would not trade (except for one spot). I am curious where NC hunters think are the best spots for killing ducks.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Private high end club with only few members. Probably the finest club in eastern NC. I unfortunately have never had the chance to hunt there.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
The Neuse river less than a mile from my house in Raleigh😁

I've never hunted it but that's where I'd pick...lots to be said for quick and convenient.

A golf course, too...always said if I strike it rich I'm buying one to hunt on...

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Private high end club with only few members. Probably the finest club in eastern NC. I unfortunately have never had the chance to hunt there.

Awesome place! Have a friend that hunts there all the time. Strict hunting guidelines (days and hours) is one reason why they consistently have birds. Being protected and in a great location doesn't hurt either.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Carteret County has to be one of the premier counties because every year the local "farmers" grow hundreds of acres of aquatic corn and leave it for the birds. And they have hired GW's to guard it against those who are from "Off". :rolleyes:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Carteret County has to be one of the premier counties because every year the local "farmers" grow hundreds of acres of aquatic corn and leave it for the birds. And they have hired GW's to guard it against those who are from "Off". :rolleyes:

Lol. They don't call it the "Gold Coast" for nothing. :)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
sshhh,,,,don't tell anyone but my pick is Scotland County,,,,,,,,,,sleeper spots there,,,,,,,,

don't all bumrush us now,,,,,,:cool:

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
The swamp behind my house that I was denied access to when I asked permission to hunt it. I could walk to it in 10 mins.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Believe it or not, back before duck hunting became so popular, we had some swamps in randolph, Chatham and alamance county that would rival anywhere in the state for puddle duck numbers. Most wouldn’t never believe the numbers of mallards those swamps would hold if you held off and let’em build up over a week or two. Those days are long gone. Now everyone would rather go in every weekend and shoot one merganser than be patient and walk out with strap full.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
Believe it or not, back before duck hunting became so popular, we had some swamps in randolph, Chatham and alamance county that would rival anywhere in the state for puddle duck numbers. Most wouldn’t never believe the numbers of mallards those swamps would hold if you held off and let’em build up over a week or two. Those days are long gone. Now everyone would rather go in every weekend and shoot one merganser than be patient and walk out with strap full.

Bingo!

We used to have two or three swamps to hunt locally that we left alone until weather got right or we saw good numbers during scouting. Now that duck hunting is the "cool" thing to do all the high schoolers go into those areas and shoot them up every weekend and they aren't worth hunting at all. Property lines usually run up to one side of a swamp (creek borders) and someone else owns up to the other side so it's nearly impossible to manage the pressure.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Northampton county where the Meherrin river runs ..... Nobody hardly duck hunted that area between 1994 and 2008. I can remember walking thru some of those swampy bottoms of the river and see dozens of ducks just moving thru the water during the mid day. I could walk up to within 70 yards of them before they just paddled off slowly. Crazy. Funny how they know when they are being hunted.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns

Darkthirty I would believe it as I grew up in Alamance CO. Used to have a swamp there that I would put it up against any swamp in nc. some days you could see a hundred mallards easy and the wood duck numbers were crazy too. I grew up right on the haw and we used to laugh at boys going to the coast and all we had to do was wade to the middle of the river and shoot ducks like crazy pass shooting. used to hunt Alamance creek right where Macintosh is now and we shot load of ducks out of there but that is long gone since they built the new dam. This swamp is near Cammack and it was game on especially on a saturday as when all the boats got on Cammack the birds left Cammack and came to this swamp.

Alamance co would get my vote.

added, and well one spot in Wilson co where there is a roost that you Have never seen so many birds coming down.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Northampton county where the Meherrin river runs ..... Nobody hardly duck hunted that area between 1994 and 2008. I can remember walking thru some of those swampy bottoms of the river and see dozens of ducks just moving thru the water during the mid day. I could walk up to within 70 yards of them before they just paddled off slowly. Crazy. Funny how they know when they are being hunted.

Myself and a friend of mine used to float the Meherrin for Ducks there. My wife is from Northamptonand I would see that river going to see relatives and I then started floating it and it was good.

Hate to say this but I will some day be buried close to the Mehherin as I have a family plot just up the road in Boykins Va.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Darkthirty I would believe it as I grew up in Alamance CO. Used to have a swamp there that I would put it up against any swamp in nc. some days you could see a hundred mallards easy and the wood duck numbers were crazy too. I grew up right on the haw and we used to laugh at boys going to the coast and all we had to do was wade to the middle of the river and shoot ducks like crazy pass shooting. used to hunt Alamance creek right where Macintosh is now and we shot load of ducks out of there but that is long gone since they built the new dam. This swamp is near Cammack and it was game on especially on a saturday as when all the boats got on Cammack the birds left Cammack and came to this swamp.

Alamance co would get my vote.

added, and well one spot in Wilson co where there is a roost that you Have never seen so many birds coming down.

One year we got curious and went into two different swamps and dumped a hundred pounds of corn in two holes the day after the season went out. Went back in there the next weekend and just stood on the banks at daylight. This was before the days of camera phones. You know it’s impressive when all you can do is just stand there and soak it all in. If I’d had a phone, central N.C. is the last place you’d ever thought you see 400-500 mallards, wood ducks, teal and black ducks in a half acre hole in a swamp......and don’t even get me started on the ringnecks. Hahaha