Morehead City Turning Basin 10-6-17

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
The Wife and I finally got out today and did a little fishing in the turning basin. Could not ask for a nicer day to be on the water absolutely beautiful out there..Lots of people out fishing but the fishing in the turning basin could have been better. We hit some ledges where the water suddenly drops off a few feet and managed to catch 4 nice Sea Mullet and 4 Bluefish for the pan..The Wife caught one Grey Trout but it was undersized and the Trout went back for another day..We also caught the usual Black Sea Bass, Pinfish, Lizardfish, and one Sea Robin...Freshly cut Pinfish strips is what we caught the Blues and the Sea Mullet with..We hoped for a nice Flounder but that didn't happen..We put the boat in just after daylight and by 11:30 am we were headed back home..Fresh fish for supper, can't beat it..

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
IMG_2155.jpg

This is what we did on Saturday. Had 8 speckled trout, three black drum, two flounder and threw back at least 8 undersized puppy drum and ten undersized trout. Fished out of Atlantic Beach in all the usual places.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
His smile says it all. We tried to find some spots in gallants channel, the turning basin and the coast guard station. Saw a few caught in gallants channel but we couldn’t seem to connect.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Any of you know about big black drum being caught in the spring around the turning basin?

I have seen some big ones swimming under the port platform on the sugar loaf island side in warm weather...Never could get one to bite though. We used to catch big ones down in SC in Winyah Bay out of Georgetown but we quickly found out the big fish are full of worms that look like spaghetti when filleted. I like the smaller BD for eating but I won't ever keep a big one again for the pan..

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
I have seen some big ones swimming under the port platform on the sugar loaf island side in warm weather...Never could get one to bite though. We used to catch big ones down in SC in Winyah Bay out of Georgetown but we quickly found out the big fish are full of worms that look like spaghetti when filleted. I like the smaller BD for eating but I won't ever keep a big one again for the pan..

Yea. When i say big im referring to 40+ inch fish. I know that in states above and below us people target them in the spring, inside inlets, in deep channels. Have never really heard of people doing it in nc. Figured the ports in Wilmington and Morehead would be the perfect places for it based on what i have read of people doing in other states. Would be a fun fight and good picture to catch one of those monster black drum that can get way bigger than an old red drum.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah I hear ya Mumbo, we used to catch like I said some big fish back many years ago in Winyah Bay SC. The biggest fish we never kept anyway just for show we gave the real old big Drum a free pass...This was many years before the size or creel regulations kicked in for salt water fish...It was a lot of fun wrestling with the big Black Drum for sure..We fished under an old pier with fiddler crabs or fresh shrimp they would readily bite either one as the tide flooded and started out.. Sometimes they ran around the pilings and cut us off but most times they headed for the deeper water away from the pier and the fight was on..I miss fishing that area of SC..