NCWRC gobbling survey

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
In the details of the commissioner meeting there is a section from David Cobb talking about a gobbling survey . Something being set up with semi permanent listening stations. 22 or so of them.

Any of you familiar with the study? It sure sounds interesting.

I have emailed Mr. Kreh (turkey bio)about the project; but though maybe someone here knew of it?

If he responds i will share his insights.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
well initial conclusions on my in interpretation is that the gobbling peaks measured fall in line with the season, not weighted to earlier in march. in other words we should be hearing them when we can hunt them.

and amazingly they gobble at the same time in ashe county as they do down east. that is a surprise. admittedly only a one year study but seems very well done and is certainly full of info.

detail mentions moving some devices to hunted areas in the future, that would be neat to see what degree they are hushed by pressure.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Mr. Kreh has already responded. In 2017 they had at least 5 recorders in each of the 9 districts so more state wide data.

That info should be tallied by january 2018.

Guess i have been under a rock as i had no clue the extent of this survey.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yeap, and initially dispells the whole "season is too late" BS so many spout,,,,,,,will be interesting to see what comes out in January

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
It's not late enough actually if the season was set purely on biology according to biologists

Last edited: