Any water trappers out there?

buckman84

Eight Pointer
Wondering if anyone does any water trapping? Got into trapping a dew years back and have been hooked.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Wondering if anyone does any water trapping? Got into trapping a dew years back and have been hooked.

I'm in the south eastern part of the state. I use to catch a lot of Fox and yotes but have been trapping beaver and otter the last few years due to prices being paid for nuisance work. As for beaver learn how to use snares ( if you don't already). I use them almost exclusively now with reduced labor and more success

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Did any of you fellas come to the convention last weekend? Have you signed up for one of the Beaver workshops that are being offered by the NCTA?

http://www.nctrapper.org/index.php?p=1_52_Beaver-Trapping-Workshop-Trenton-NC
http://www.nctrapper.org/index.php?p=1_51_Beaver-Trapping-Workshop-Spencer-NC

I do a bit of water trapping from time to time......
View attachment 57087
View attachment 57088
View attachment 57089

I was there on Saturday to pick up the seasons supply of gear from Mr dobbins and southern snares. It appeared to be slow while I was there but was told there was a good turnout on Friday

Trappertod

Six Pointer
Friday is always the bigger day, we had a great convention. I primarily land trap just because of the areas I have to trap. Fur prices are low, but I don't do it for the money, that's just an added bonus.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I try. Just targeting Beaver and otter. Have not found any otter yet.

Otter trapping is a waiting game. If you have a good creek or canals you’ll catch otter, but it may take several weeks. Make sure you block them down really well. Dam crossovers are deadly, and so are runs.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Otter trapping is a waiting game. If you have a good creek or canals you’ll catch otter, but it may take several weeks. Make sure you block them down really well. Dam crossovers are deadly, and so are runs.
Up here you will catch otter in your beaver sets but seldom know they are there unless you happen to see where they have cracked some mussels on a log or a pile of scat on a log etc. You will seldom see sign of them but they are in the rivers and big creeks.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Used to water trap(and trap everything as well) when I was growing up. miss it dearly. hope to one day maybe when I retire to run some more traps. problem is when I was young i got traps, dyed and waxed them and went to trapping. Now I don't know if I could understand all the traps legalities. probably some of the traps I used back then are not even legal now. on another note, i see otters in every river I fish now. used to be a rare sight but common now.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
It’s not as bad as you think, Mack. No teeth, no body grips larger than a 220 on land, and some size and chain restrictions on footholds. Honestly that’s it. You should come out to one of the NCTA meetings. It’s a lot of fun.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
I'm in the south eastern part of the state. I use to catch a lot of Fox and yotes but have been trapping beaver and otter the last few years due to prices being paid for nuisance work. As for beaver learn how to use snares ( if you don't already). I use them almost exclusively now with reduced labor and more success

What are folks paying for beaver nuisance trapping these days?

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
What are folks paying for beaver nuisance trapping these days?

It depends on the location and who is paying the bill. I charge accordingly. If it's a local farmer we might work out a trade , if it's a golf course full of people from the north it can be costly. Every job is different and insurance requirements, cash or 1099 and a lot of other things come into play. I never charge less than 350 per week for trapping only and charge extra for dam removal etc..

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Don’t need a dep permit for beaver in NC. That’s the only species you can trap year-around. You do need a trapping license, though.

Last edited:

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I have charged up to $5000 (municipality) depending on the location, potential public interference, access, how big the problem is. I have gone as low as $600 for a paid job. I do it for free for friends...

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
You do need a trapping license, though.

Not so Charlie, according to "Coyote Denton", only written permission "to remove nuisance beaver" from the owner or land manager.

HOWEVER, he did say that some Game Wardens do not know the law and it's cheap insurance to avoid any conflict, and licenses are cheap anyhow.

Like some GW's that don't know if fox need tagged in which counties, etc.

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Not so Charlie, according to "Coyote Denton", only written permission "to remove nuisance beaver" from the owner or land manager.

HOWEVER, he did say that some Game Wardens do not know the law and it's cheap insurance to avoid any conflict, and licenses are cheap anyhow.

Like some GW's that don't know if fox need tagged in which counties, etc.

I think David's referring to the following:
Nov. 1 – Mar. 31 Statewide for beaver only.
NOTE: Landowners whose property is or has been
damaged or destroyed by beaver may take beaver on
their property anytime by any lawful method without
obtaining a permit from the Wildlife Resources Com-
mission. The landowner may obtain assistance from
other persons in taking the depredating beaver by
giving those persons permission to take beaver on
the landowner’s property

My problem with that interpretation is that it assumes that just because a license is not mentioned that it's not needed. This may be the case, but it's the first time I've heard that argument. I'll have to research this, because that language is vague and I honestly don't know. I would always advise to go ahead and have a license either way. As mentioned above it's cheap insurance.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I just went through the relevant statutes and I don't agree with David. That said, I can't say specifically that he's wrong since the statute is vague. In 113-270.1B it says:

Except as otherwise specifically provided by law, no person may hunt, fish, trap, or
participate in any other activity regulated by the Wildlife Resources Commission for which a
license is provided by law without having first procured a current and valid license authorizing
the activity.

Then in 113-270.5 it says:
Except as otherwise specifically provided by law, no one may take fur-bearing
animals by trapping, or by any other authorized special method that preserves the pelt from
injury, without first having procured a current and valid trapping license.

Then in 113-291.9 (f) it says:
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, landowners whose property is or has
been damaged or destroyed by beaver may take beaver on their property by any lawful method
without obtaining a depredation permit from the Wildlife Resources Commission, and may
obtain assistance from other persons in taking the depredating beaver by giving those persons
permission to take beaver on the landowner's property.

Like I said before, it doesn't explicitly say they don't need a license, but it doesn't explicitly say they do in that particular section. If you refer to the 2 prior sections however, it seems clear to me that they do. I would hate to go to court over a $30 license, and then lose.

https://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/Statutes/StatutesTOC.pl?Chapter=0113

Last edited: