Grouping question

nn76858

Button Buck
I have been muzzleloading for a while but wanted to up my game. This year I bought a tc encore pro hunter and mounted a 3x9x50 zeiss comqust on it. I am shooting meaured out 80 grains of blackhorn which looks to equivalate to 100 grains in their measuring tubes. I am shooting a 290 gr barnes spitfire. I shot off a bench with lead sled at 100 today and my group was around 2 to 2.5 inches id say with one off a little low that was prob me. What kind of grouping should I be shooting for with this set up? I am not a guru but would like to tighten up. Also are yall running a dry patch every few shots? I was told one fouling shot and then roll with it. Obviously I ran a patch through after 10 or so shots. Also I read something in the other thread about cleaning the breech plug. I have been cleaning mine after each day at the range but what size drill bit would work on a tc breech? Thanks for all input.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Try some different bullets.....and I would not shoot it more than 4-5 shots without a good cleaning when sighting in and make sure you have a cold barrel between shots when sighting in.....

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You will get some better answers in a bit.....there are some folks that are serious about it on here!

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe you need to try different grains of powder.
I generally run a patch in between shots.
Truthfully a 2.5" group at 100yds will kill deer all day.

sent from...... Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
how well do you shoot other guns? 2 to 2 1/2 in groups are well within "minute of deer",,,,,,other than that it could be so many different things

jcsjr

Four Pointer
The first thing I had to do with my Encore was get a trigger job. I finally found that it liked the TC 250 gr. tipped bullets with 95 or 100 gr.(volume not weight) of Blackhorn 209. I tried lighter bullets but they would not group for me. When practicing I generally run a cleaning patch through the barrel after each shot. If nothing else, it makes loading much easier.

PG2

Ten Pointer
2 to 2 1/2 " groups with a MZ is good but if you want to get serious and try to "find" that load that will give you better groups you will spend some money and time at the range. Go out and get some different bullets/sabots and then another bottle of BlackHorn and experiment with different loads with each of the bullets.....

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just picked up a Pro Hunter FX last week from a member here, and I am starting the same process. A 1/8" drill bit is the right size to clean out the breach. I did it yesterday. I shot mine on Sunday, and I had just enough time to get the scope rough sighted and fire 4-5 shots for a grouping. 90 gr. volume of BH209 with 240 gr. Hornady XTP's gave me a group of about 4".

My understanding is most people are getting the best groups with 100-110 gr. BH. I have heard of good accuracy with the T/C shockwave bullets. I believe BH recommends NOT wiping between shots. Next time I will take some time to fine tune the powder charges and see what bullet works best, but I have the same question you had.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Carlos at Eds gun shop recommended 110 gr bh209 for my optima..with a 250 gr bullet I can cloverleaf three shots at a hundred yards with just a stable rest.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Here's my take on grouping, group size is important but only once you eliminate the "human" factor. If your firing from a sandbag, try a buddies led sled (etc), it may surprise you in the difference it makes. Tweaking loads is fine but your spinning your wheels until you've taken the human error and mechanical variance out (like a trigger job).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Many mizzleloaders ive shot were good 4" group guns at 100. Changing bullets and powder would probably help on many of them. Some of the newer bullets seem much more finicky than older tried and true bullets. T/c solid lead conicals in sabots have been a great performer in my experience. Hornady has some good ones out. Most of the newer ones seem to shoot better but require loading to find what they like. A lot of the older bullets seem to jive in many guns regardless of powderloads. I do not look for 1" groups with a muzzleloader. When i see a load that shoots 2-2.5" in a muzzleloader, i call it good. It will probably do much better, but its a gun that really isnt made for long range.

brucesmith0817

Six Pointer
I have been muzzleloading for a while but wanted to up my game. This year I bought a tc encore pro hunter and mounted a 3x9x50 zeiss comqust on it. I am shooting meaured out 80 grains of blackhorn which looks to equivalate to 100 grains in their measuring tubes. I am shooting a 290 gr barnes spitfire. I shot off a bench with lead sled at 100 today and my group was around 2 to 2.5 inches id say with one off a little low that was prob me. What kind of grouping should I be shooting for with this set up? I am not a guru but would like to tighten up. Also are yall running a dry patch every few shots? I was told one fouling shot and then roll with it. Obviously I ran a patch through after 10 or so shots. Also I read something in the other thread about cleaning the breech plug. I have been cleaning mine after each day at the range but what size drill bit would work on a tc breech? Thanks for all input.
I clean the barrel after every 3rd shot ,I can't get a bullet down the barrel if I shot 10 times without cleaning .you also have to try different loads an bullets there is a combination that will work but time consuming .i built a kit gun to take to Virgina years ago because they didn't allow scopes 50 cal .would not shoot 44 cal.pistol bullets like most 50,s tried 45 cal bullets cut holes at 50yd.I shoot 2 50 gr. Pellets of triple 7 an 240 gr.horanday pistolbullets with black TC wads up the powder an groups open up killed deer up to 140 yds no problem .I shooting a CVA OPTIMA

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk