Permit Results Posted

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I just got back from an early season GL waterfowl draw hunt. I was the only hunter that showed up. Three impoundments all to myself. Something is seriously wrong with the system. There are as many no-shows on a particular day as there are hunters actually hunting. I have one more permit hunt around Thanksgiving. I believe that the NCWRC should draw by date and hunt choice and not by the hunters name. I always look at a calendar while planning my hunts but I know a lot of people who just "shotgun" the dates and hope to get drawn. Then they decide if they can take off work or go on the hunt. For those of us who try to pick days when we know we can go (and therefore not take away a hunt from someone else by not showing up) I think to be fair the state should draw by date and hunt choice. What I mean is take the first hunt day for a particular GL, then pull all of the hunters who picked that day as their first choice and draw from that pool. For those drawn set them aside and then pull the names of all hunters who picked that day as their second choice, then do the same for third, fourth and fifth choice until that day is filled. Then move on to the second hunt day and pick the hunters choosing that day as their first choice, and so on until every hunt day is filled. If there are more slots than hunters applying then these become leftover hunts. And the WRC needs to inform hunters by telling them to pick days that they know they can hunt. Right now it doesn't matter. Your name is either selected or not and if you get picked you get a hunt. I know that some will not like this because they want it to be "fair" and provide as much "opportunity" to the masses as possible. Picking days based on hunters choice and priority means that some will get more hunts while others get few or even none. Awe...po' babies. ;)

Anyway, for those of you who got drawn this morning and decided that life was more important than hunting thank you for not showing up. For those of you who did not get drawn but would have gone if you had, you just got screwed. LOL!

Had a great morning with the dog and some woodies, for those of you that are wondering.

Last edited:

JD1107

I'm sure I'm not the only wondering if you actually shot or saw any ducks.

Gus

Six Pointer
Be thankful you had someplace to yourself.
Puttered 4 miles down a creek just to have the only other group hunting the entire creek decide 250 yds from me was where they needed to be set up. Both groups could have had great hunts if they'd moved on a ways. I don't get folks. Do they feel safer being close to somebody else or what?

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
Be thankful you had someplace to yourself.
Puttered 4 miles down a creek just to have the only other group hunting the entire creek decide 250 yds from me was where they needed to be set up. Both groups could have had great hunts if they'd moved on a ways. I don't get folks. Do they feel safer being close to somebody else or what?

Most likely they've done nothing to prepare for the hunt and assume that you knew where the birds were gonna be from scouting. They think by setting up close to you they will be able to sponge off the benefits of your hard work and time.

Or maybe they're just stupid! Hard to tell really.

dcmayo311

Four Pointer
Didn't get the swan permit (first time trying) but did get Smith Creek Impoundment on 12/2. Gotta find time to go scout in November, maybe before the second split. I think I've seen a constructed blind there when I've gone fishing, coming and going to the landing.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
I too have witnessed a lot of no shows, and admittedly have been one myself as things often come up in the 3-4 months between applying and the hunt. I do like the states that you call a couple of days prior, at a certain time and first come, first serve. Often times its difficult to even get a spot, which can make it challenging but at least I can appreciate tax dollars and license fees being utilized.