Favorite Deer Bullets or Cartridges?

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
6.8 SPCII 120 gr Hornady SST. DRT

308 with Privi 165 BTSP-- I bought a few boxes of this to shoot for fun and was impressed with the accuracy. It also hammers deer.

shortmag

Button Buck
Been using a 30-30 for decades and it works very well. Use a .257 Roberts on the few times I've been able to put a western hunt for mulies together. And a .300 WSM for bull elk in Idaho.

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
Remington 660 in 350 Remington mag and 185 Barnes ttsx and tac powder. Bear and deer thumper in the woods.

JakeH

Four Pointer
Steyr Pro Hunter in .270 gets 130gr Federal Fusions. Its a cheap bullet that just plain works on deer-sized game.

Savage 110 in .243 gets 95gr Fusions. Sometimes I don't want to lug that heavy Steyr around. Might be rebarreling this to 7mm-08 after the season though.

brucesmith0817

Six Pointer
I shoot a Remington model 700 sp 300 WSM added a muzzlebrake, glass bedded,an trigger job use winchester 150 gr power lock bullets. I have a lot of stands with 300 yd shoots.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

stoked64

Button Buck
Primary: Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 308 165 Grain Trophy Bonded Tip (Bonded)
Secondary: Barnes VOR-TX Ammunition 308 Winchester 150 Grain Tipped Triple-Shock (all copper)

Mattbowen61990

Button Buck
Where to start.... Welp, my #1 go to gun right now is a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308. My bullet for it is a 168gr Amax, my #2 is between a 25-06, and a 270 Winchester. The 25-06 I shoot handloaded hornady SST's, and in the 270 I am shooting some awesome grouping and low SD Barnes X triple shocks, untipped. Oh yeah, my oldest, and probably most favorite is my 243 WSSM with 95 gr SST's it shoots flat and I killed my first deer with it years ago when the short mags first came out.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
From 1980-last year, a Ruger M-77 .243 using mainly 100gr CoreLokts...I did go through a few years where I killed several deer with each factory loading available at that time but I kept coming back to CoreLokts, my gun liked them but the deer sure didn't...

Last year, I got a .270, killed 2 eight pointers on one of our farms, used Hornady 130gr InterLockts...Dang, they made a mess and sure painted up the soybeans... :)

Guess I'll try them again this year, just waiting for my oldest grandson to get old enough to kill his first with my .243...My plan is to give it to him after he does so... ;)

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
41 magnum with 200 gr Speer
7x57 custom Mauser with 145 gr
6.5x55 Swedish Mauser with 140 gr
30-30 Win 94, mid 50's, 150 gr
257 Ackley with 120 gr
M1 Garand 30-06 with 180 gr

DaddyRat

Four Pointer
Have many favorites but the flavor this year will be a 257 weatherby mag shooting 100 grain partitions.

Kane_b

Six Pointer
I shoot a Remington model 700 sp 300 WSM added a muzzlebrake, glass bedded,an trigger job use winchester 150 gr power lock bullets. I have a lot of stands with 300 yd shoots.

Hey what kind of muzzle brake do you have? I am getting a Bergara 300 wm and was wondering how to reduce recoil. If it is needed at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brucesmith0817

Six Pointer
Hey what kind of muzzle brake do you have? I am getting a Bergara 300 wm and was wondering how to reduce recoil. If it is needed at all.

I don't know what brand had the gun store I deal with send it to someone who does his work. Really record is not a problem I really like this calibre was shooting a 270 win,.for years .I won this gun an I hunt cut overs an big fields an like to shoot does at long distances.I got gun it has a lot better drop rate.t sight in 11/2 " high at 100yds 17 or 18 in" low @ 400yds have killed a couple 425 yds. This gun will a 1in" group 100yds if I do my part.

oneoldinspector/hunter

still like my old marlin 336 in 30-30 ,160 grn and my savage 110 in .270 nosler accubond , thors hammer. will bring both to camp this season.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer

I didn't need one when I shot my buddies. The bergaras have a good recoil pad that helps a lot.

lmobeats

Four Pointer
Y'all are gonna laugh but 00 buck my favorite I am usually taking shots 70 yards and less. And don't let anyone tell you buckshot only has a range of 25 yards I've killed deer and dropped then dead in their tracks from close to 70 yards with it no lie

brucesmith0817

Six Pointer
Y'all are gonna laugh but 00 buck my favorite I am usually taking shots 70 yards and less. And don't let anyone tell you buckshot only has a range of 25 yards I've killed deer and dropped then dead in their tracks from close to 70 yards with it no lie
When I have to kill them with a shotgun I will retire nothing like seeing a nice buck at 100yds an having to let him walk not my cup of tea. If I were to use one it would be a slug gun made for deer hunting .I've seen a guitar a few milled withshot from what I've seen they don't leave much blood trail a lot are wounded an never found.

lmobeats

Four Pointer
When I have to kill them with a shotgun I will retire nothing like seeing a nice buck at 100yds an having to let him walk not my cup of tea. If I were to use one it would be a slug gun made for deer hunting .I've seen a guitar a few milled withshot from what I've seen they don't leave much blood trail a lot are wounded an never found.

I regularly use slugs also out of my mossberg 500 but I find The meat damage is too much even with a perfectly placed shot

brucesmith0817

Six Pointer
I regularly use slugs also out of my mossberg 500 but I find The meat damage is too much even with a perfectly placed shot
I've killed a couple of hundred an only 4 with shotgun an buckshot sure not for me.I don't see why it would be ruining that much meat it's sure not the velocity .

lmobeats

Four Pointer
I've killed a couple of hundred an only 4 with shotgun an buckshot sure not for me.I don't see why it would be ruining that much meat it's sure not the velocity .

I've had holes in deera that I could literally put my whole arm through with slugs , but with that said I will be using slugs on game lands tomorrow with 00 buck behind it just case

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
Ok here goes.

22-250- 50grain Barnes tsx
223- 70grain Barnes tsx
264 win mag - haven’t shot it yet.
270 win- 130 Barnes tsx and 130 nosler bt
7stw- 140graon nosler bt
30-06- 165grain nosler bt
375win- 220 speers soft point
41mag rifle and pistol - 210 grain hollow point speers

I think that’s all I’m hunting with now. Just ordered a 243 abolt 3 for my son. We’ll see what it likes next weekend

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
So ... the favorites are anything from .41 Mag up in handgun and .223 Rem up in a rifle, right? ;)

What a surprise ...

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Anyone have any favorite oddballs? I'd love to have a 257 Roberts, not that uncommon but you don't see it much anymore

Last edited:

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
90% of the deer I have killed have been with buckshot or a 25.06. So no doubt I love both of these. Added a 6.5 Creedmoor to the family this summer and can not wait to turn it loose on whitetails.

grey.ghost

Six Pointer
I've used a gracious plenty different calibers over the years. For thin skinned animals I settled into the 7mm-08.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk